• Funniest Story on the Job Contest Starts Now!

Contest starts now and ends September 27th. Winner will receive a special user banner and $10 Amazon Gift card!

JOIN NOW
  • Site Updates Coming Next Week

Site updates are coming next week on Monday and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

deferring undergrad loans

littlecaitling

10+ Year Member
Apr 3, 2008
Long Island NY/Boston Ma
  1. Pre-Veterinary
Hello,

I'm currently a senior at a small private libarts school in boston. I plan on continuing my education (specifically grad school), however I'm looking to take anywhere from a semester to a year off in between. I understand that there is generally about a 6 month grace period after graduation (in may) before I have to start payments. My mother is convinced that if I take any time off in between grad school and ug that I'll enter into repayment and will have to pay off my ug loans as a full-time grad student. My question is, will I be able to defer payments again once I'm enrolled as a full-time grad student? I have stafford, perkins, and private loans, through chase.

Thanks in advance.

alwaysaangel

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2006
Orange, CA
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Hello,

I'm currently a senior at a small private libarts school in boston. I plan on continuing my education (specifically grad school), however I'm looking to take anywhere from a semester to a year off in between. I understand that there is generally about a 6 month grace period after graduation (in may) before I have to start payments. My mother is convinced that if I take any time off in between grad school and ug that I'll enter into repayment and will have to pay off my ug loans as a full-time grad student. My question is, will I be able to defer payments again once I'm enrolled as a full-time grad student? I have stafford, perkins, and private loans, through chase.

Thanks in advance.

Depends on the loan. Stafford and perkins should be able to go back into deferment for a while. The private loan may or may not. You can definitely run out of deferment. A friend of mine has and owes $300/month while in med school - its killing his budget for school but he can't get out of it.

Call the banks - get it in writing and plan ahead. Find out if your deferment will get you all the way through med school.

Isoprop

Fascinating, tell me more
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 16, 2007
  1. Medical Student
yes indeed call the banks. but generally, you can defer your loans while doing full-time grad even after repaying during "time off." this is from my experience but i have no private loans.

About the Ads
About the Ads
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.