deferring undergrad loans

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

littlecaitling

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm currently a senior at a small private libarts school in boston. I plan on continuing my education (specifically grad school), however I'm looking to take anywhere from a semester to a year off in between. I understand that there is generally about a 6 month grace period after graduation (in may) before I have to start payments. My mother is convinced that if I take any time off in between grad school and ug that I'll enter into repayment and will have to pay off my ug loans as a full-time grad student. My question is, will I be able to defer payments again once I'm enrolled as a full-time grad student? I have stafford, perkins, and private loans, through chase.

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

I'm currently a senior at a small private libarts school in boston. I plan on continuing my education (specifically grad school), however I'm looking to take anywhere from a semester to a year off in between. I understand that there is generally about a 6 month grace period after graduation (in may) before I have to start payments. My mother is convinced that if I take any time off in between grad school and ug that I'll enter into repayment and will have to pay off my ug loans as a full-time grad student. My question is, will I be able to defer payments again once I'm enrolled as a full-time grad student? I have stafford, perkins, and private loans, through chase.

Thanks in advance.

Depends on the loan. Stafford and perkins should be able to go back into deferment for a while. The private loan may or may not. You can definitely run out of deferment. A friend of mine has and owes $300/month while in med school - its killing his budget for school but he can't get out of it.

Call the banks - get it in writing and plan ahead. Find out if your deferment will get you all the way through med school.

yes indeed call the banks. but generally, you can defer your loans while doing full-time grad even after repaying during "time off." this is from my experience but i have no private loans.

Members don't see this ad :)
would it have been any different if i went straight from undergrad to grad, no time off in between?