General Admissions & OTCAS Defining OT in a Personal Statement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

journeytoOT

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

This may be a silly question but in our personal statements, would you guys define what OT is?

For example,

".... occupational therapy (OT) .... "

and then continue to use OT throughout the essay? It would save a lot on character count!

Do you guys think it is necessary to do that?

Members don't see this ad.

Does the topic ask you to do that? If not, then I would consider simply articulating your understanding of OT by describing your experiences with OT/people who would benefit from OT services. I would think that an applicable understanding is better than a formal definition. In my personal statement, I defined OT by describing why I wanted to be an OT. Through my explanation of choosing OT as a career, I included some of the philosophical components of OT practice that translated my understanding of what OT is. Does that make sense? This is all subjective, of course. The OT admissions committee already knows what OT is. They want to know why you want to be an OT, why you would make a good OT, and what have you done in preparation.

Does the topic ask you to do that? If not, then I would consider simply articulating your understanding of OT by describing your experiences with OT/people who would benefit from OT services. I would think that an applicable understanding is better than a formal definition. In my personal statement, I defined OT by describing why I wanted to be an OT. Through my explanation of choosing OT as a career, I included some of the philosophical components of OT practice that translated my understanding of what OT is. Does that make sense? This is all subjective, of course. The OT admissions committee already knows what OT is. They want to know why you want to be an OT, why you would make a good OT, and what have you done in preparation.

I understand what you mean, but I'm saying if I want to abbreviate occupational therapy to "OT" rather than typing it out "occupational therapy" throughout the essay, do I have to explicit say that OT means occupational therapy.

For instance, if I were in a club (i.e. PUSH, AMPAMSA, AMA), then I would put what each letter stands for, spell out what the club is, etc. Is this necessary to do for "OT" ?

Hopefully that clarifies my questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
I understand what you mean, but I'm saying if I want to abbreviate occupational therapy to "OT" rather than typing it out "occupational therapy" throughout the essay, do I have to explicit say that OT means occupational therapy.

For instance, if I were in a club (i.e. PUSH, AMPAMSA, AMA), then I would put what each letter stands for, spell out what the club is, etc. Is this necessary to do for "OT" ?

Hopefully that clarifies my questions.
Hi! Yes, I put "Occupational Therapy (OT) blah blah blah..." and referred to it as "OT" or "becoming an OT" after that point. They understand what you are trying to say and I feel it is the least distracting option.

Hi! Yes, I put "Occupational Therapy (OT) blah blah blah..." and referred to it as "OT" or "becoming an OT" after that point. They understand what you are trying to say and I feel it is the least distracting option.

thank you!