Definition of 'hyaline'?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Daitong

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that it describes a reddish hue, but for the life of me I can't understand what it actually means to be hyaline...and what pathologic process it suggests.

Also, when something is described as 'subpleural', does that mean under the visceral pleura (so it would be touching the lung/alveoli/parenchyma) or over the parietal (touching the chest muscles), or intrapleural (within the intrapleural space?)

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

1) hyaline = pink non-cellular stuff , usually protein

2) Subpleural , I think it depends on the context , but usually it describes structures/pathology just under the visceral pleura , i.e touching the actual lung

1) hyaline = pink non-cellular stuff , usually protein

2) Subpleural , I think it depends on the context , but usually it describes structures/pathology just under the visceral pleura , i.e touching the actual lung

For #1 does that mean fibrosis?

Not necessarily , could be leaky protein (i.e hyaline disease of the newborn -NRDS) or protein ''pushed'' into the intima of the vessels in hyaline arteriosclerosis in HTN , and tons of other crap