"Definition" Questions on Verbal

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jnorman1218

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
On my last FL I had a definition question where I had to find a specific word in the passage. I didn't remember seeing that word and so I had a hard time locating it. I tried skimming through areas I thought it would be but still couldn't locate it. At that point, it seemed the only option for finding the word was to read back through the whole passage which obviously would have taken way to much time so I just ended up having to guess. Any suggestions on how to handle this when you don't remember the location of the word in question?

Members don't see this ad.

On my last FL I had a definition question where I had to find a specific word in the passage. I didn't remember seeing that word and so I had a hard time locating it. I tried skimming through areas I thought it would be but still couldn't locate it. At that point, it seemed the only option for finding the word was to read back through the whole passage which obviously would have taken way to much time so I just ended up having to guess. Any suggestions on how to handle this when you don't remember the location of the word in question?

Personally, after a brief search, I would guess on the answer, flag the question and move on, and return to the flagged question when finished with the other questions and spend more time on looking.

I'd suggest using the main idea of the passage. You really shouldn't need to go back to that part of the passage 90+% of the time. If you understood the passage, you should be able to decide on a definition that fits the type of passage. Knowing the kinds of mistakes students tend to make helps as well (i.e., on these types of questions, it's usually not the most common definition but an alternate definition; a strong vocabulary will help with this question type as well).