Definitive EM text?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Roy7

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I was just wondering what everyone considered the definitive EM text to be. I'm an M3 (for another month), and wanted to make sure I had the best book down and quotable by the time I started my aways (I'm gonna have to read it someday, might as well read it now). My Chairmen/attending recommends Tintinalli (sp?), just making sure that's the consensus (I was going to get the pocket manual).

Thanks again.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Everyone,

I was just wondering what everyone considered the definitive EM text to be. I'm an M3 (for another month), and wanted to make sure I had the best book down and quotable by the time I started my aways (I'm gonna have to read it someday, might as well read it now). My Chairmen/attending recommends Tintinalli (sp?), just making sure that's the consensus (I was going to get the pocket manual).

Thanks again.

There is no definitive EM text. Each one has issues. By virtue of being published, they are already several years out of date. They can't cover everything fully and there are even more specialized texts for aspects of Emergency Medicine. Find one you like and then realize that you need to supplement it with current research, literature, and other texts.

That all being said. Rosen is more comprehensive, Tintinalli is easier to read. These two are the most popular.

If you're a 3rd year, you won't even have time to get through pocket Tintinalli's in a month. Emergency Medicine Secrets is concise enough to get through in a block and covers some of the high points which are lost in a longer book.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you're a 3rd year, you won't even have time to get through pocket Tintinalli's in a month. Emergency Medicine Secrets is concise enough to get through in a block and covers some of the high points which are lost in a longer book.

agreed - stick with the quick read books for a month long rotation.

I just got my Tintinalli from my new program and the syllabus is set up to read the book over one year.

I like the EM 5MCC (5 minute clinical consult). As a student, you need to learn differentials. The pathophys will come, but the emphasis is on not missing things that will kill the patient.

Did anyone use NMS? It just came out last year and has review questions...seems pretty comprehensive for a month long clerkship.

what they said.

By the way, $500 of book money will get you.
Wilderness Medicine, 5th Edition-Auerbach
Manual of Emergency and Critical Care Ultrasound-Noble
Clinical Procedures in Emergency Medicine-Roberts and Hedges
12-Lead Ecg: The Art of Interpretation-Garcia
Rosen and Barkin's 5-Minute Emergency Medicine Consult (The 5-Minute Consult Series)

There is no definitive EM text. Each one has issues. By virtue of being published, they are already several years out of date. They can't cover everything fully and there are even more specialized texts for aspects of Emergency Medicine. Find one you like and then realize that you need to supplement it with current research, literature, and other texts.

That all being said. Rosen is more comprehensive, Tintinalli is easier to read. These two are the most popular.

Stupidly, I own all three. I bought one.... program bought another... picked up another one on the cheap cause it was used and in pristine condition.

Agree with Rosen as most comprehensive. I prefer Harwood and Nuss over any of them. Easier to read then either of the above two choices given its layout.