Degree Choice to prepare for DPT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

YoungMD243

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm currently a sophomore in college and I'm still undecided on a degree. I recently spoken with my adviser and I've told her that I'm interested in DPT and of course, she suggested me go into Biology. I was looking into getting my degree in health and/or exercise science/physiology due to my extensive health and fitness background. I'm currently a NASM Certified personal trainer, Certified fitness nutrition specialist, certified performance enhancement specialist, as well as certified corrective exercise specialist. I also have over 8.5 years of health and fitness experience. I would think that getting a degree besides Biology would set me apart from the rest due to the fact that's where most students get there undergrad in before entering DPT and it aligns with my background. What do you guys think?
 
I personally think the biology degree is a little more rigorous and may better prepare you for the level of DPT courses (especially your first year). If you do well in biology, that will certainly speak to your ability to handle tough science course load. But that said, you really can get any degree you want. Getting a degree in exercise science will NOT set you apart if that is your goal. Pretty much every DPT applicant gets a degree in exercise science....you will be a dime a dozen. People who have a math degree or political science or something like that seem to stand out more from the crowd. The other big concern with exercise science is that the job market is terrible upon graduation. I think your adviser is smart to recommend biology just in case you change your mind or don't get in school or whatever....your job prospects may be better in that field.

In the end, you don't have to stand out with a different degree....you just need to do really well. So if exercise science is your passion, do it and do it with straight As. But no, it won't make you a more competitive candidate.
 
I would say to pick a major that allows you to complete all of the prerequisites while also maintaining a really good GPA. I majored in a completely unrelated field, but have all my prereqs done and had solid grades. I had no problems getting into PT school. I have spoken with people who got lower grades because they majored in a harder field, and programs don't seem to take that into account to your benefit.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Personally I would pick the major the allows enough flexibility for you to take your prereqs AND that you enjoy. Even if there was a "perfect" major for PT school would it really be worth it if you hated it and every class felt like a chore?
 
I majored in Anthropology and minored in Sociology and Dance. (PT hadn't crossed my mind yet when I was in undergrad.) I think my varied educational background is what got my application a lot of attention. If you don't want to major in Exercise Science, either pick a major that covers the pre-reqs you will need, or pick an unrelated major and pick a minor that covers the pre-reqs. I didn't mind going back after undergrad to complete my pre-reqs but it probably would've been more economical to do them in undergrad. Keep in mind that being an Exercise Science or Biology major won't make you a better applicant than if you chose another major!
 
I personally think the biology degree is a little more rigorous and may better prepare you for the level of DPT courses (especially your first year).

Agree. Knowledge of molecular and cellular biology will help you in many more of your PT school classes than knowledge of kinesiology or ex phys.

Knowledge of finance and/or business will help you more in your career than any of the above.
 
If I could go back, I would major in something like athletic training. It is more hands on and the students who majored in athletic training our class have prior knowledge on much of what we are learning about in our first year.
 
If I could go back, I would major in something like athletic training. It is more hands on and the students who majored in athletic training our class have prior knowledge on much of what we are learning about in our first year.

True. AT is transitioning to an entry-level master's degree over the next few years though, so pretty soon it won't be a very appealing option if your end goal is to be a PT. To be a PT/AT you'll basically have to go through grad school twice. AT school is also a LOT more work than regular undergrad from what I've heard and seen.
 
I agree with athletic training. If you do not get into pt school for a year, you can actually use your degree and make money. You will have a head start on passive stretching etc. I did neuro. It is VERY easy to forget.
 
I was a Kinesiology degree and would stick to that if I had to redo it again unless I wanted the easy way out and wanted my GPA to be a perfect 4.0. I took 3 graduate level courses which are what the PT students take their first year, I took hands on courses in AT and in using the different methods of PT in terms of measuring and tests used, I did majority of my research papers on a topic related to the future of PT, and we had to have 600 hours of PT observations in multiple settings (PT applications usually it's a minimum of 30, so when you have to have a minimum of 600 for school, you already start ahead in that process) .I think taking harder courses such as the graduate courses and the hands on courses prepared me much better for graduate school. But honestly if you do want to keep you GPAstronger and you're better at a specific subject that follows the same prerequisites you may want to do that. Figure out what will get you the best application along with your other statistics.