Degree Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GoGreenGoWhite1997

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am new to the forum so forgive me if I am posting in the incorrect section. A little about myself; I am currently an incoming transfer student (Sophomore) at Michigan State University majoring in Microbiology. I plan to complete my bachelors degree at MSU and return to my home state of California to complete graduate school and later pursue a career as a pharmaceutical scientist.

Ive asked many school counselors and professors for advise on how to achieve my goals and have constantly been told to "ask someone in the industry". The problem is I don't know anyone in the industry and after failed attempts to speak to professors at universities, I need help understanding the pathway to achieving my dreams. After lots of research I concluded that I need to first complete my B.S in Microbiology (my declared major) then I should pursue a M.S and Ph.D in Pharamcology along with a couple years of fellowship/ lab work before I am able to establish a set career.

Should I change my major and get my B.S in another topic? Should I get my B.S, M.S, and Ph.D all in pharmacology or each in different topics such as toxicology, molecular biology, etc.? I wish I could find more help through my J.C but the resources aren't available. Please correct any misconception I may have and make any suggestions you think would help me, thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

You can start working in industry with your bachelors degree (e.g. QC Microbiologist). See if you like the industry first before getting deep into higher education with what I am assuming is RD work you would want to be doing. You can also then see if your company has a tuition reimbursement policy that could make your masters little to no cost to you. Once you roll for a doctorate, you will most likely be swamped with school and research full time.

If you do well in undergrad and are certain this is your path, there is no reason to pay for the masters. Going straight into a PhD program in Pharmacology will be free tuition plus a stipend.