1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Bachelor's Degree Before PharmD

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by Ns96, Jan 29, 2018.

1. Ns96

Hello! Does the absence of a Bachelor's Degree affect a PharmD's job opportunities or make them any less of a pharmacist? I find it strange when people say that people might not hire pharmacists without a Bachelor's degree... It's like saying a person with a Master's can't work without having an associates. What are your opinions on this? Has this affected anyone you in know in this situation?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. capri1722

capri1722 CU Skaggs c/o 2022

Pre-Pharmacy
    Considering many pharmacy schools accept students who have not earned a bachelors degree, I’m pretty sure it won’t affect your future job prospects as a pharmacist. (Also because a PharmD is a higher degree than a bachelors.) That said though, I wouldn’t totally discount the idea of a bachelors degree. I’m graduating in May with my bachelors partly because I didn’t decide on pharmacy until I was almost done with my degree but also because this way I’ll have a fallback if pharmacy school doesn’t work out for whatever reason.

4. Blizzard1mage

5+ Year Member

Same response as other thread - if you're going to finish the PharmD, I wouldn't worry about this at all.

DailyDaisies likes this.
  5. IceOtope

2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    Personally, I am finishing up my bachelors degree this year and going to pharmacy school this upcoming fall. It may help with admissions process if you have a bachelors degree, but I doubt it makes any significant difference once you have a Pharm. D. Because the Pharm. D is a doctorate degree, people generally don't pay much attention to your bachelor degree, similar to how you're never asked for your high school transcript/degree once you're out of college.

6. Bareitashvilli

Bareitashvilli Pharmacy Student

I am pretty glad I got my B.S. degree though I feel much more well rounded.
    There are courses I wanted to take but couldn't because of problems on the school's part. I would have loved to take immunology and virology but couldn't. I feel they would have prepared me even more.

However I thought I was not going to get my BS then I did badly on first Pcat so I decided to press on and took more science courses and they really helped and that's when I decided that I might as well just get my degree