Degrees/coursework leading to DPT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

NeurologicalPT

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey all,

I'm a post-bacclaureate student highly interested in becoming a Physical Therapist focusing on Neurological Rehabilitation. I've started my journey to become a DPT back in January by taking a few prerequisite courses that I didn't get a chance to during my undergrad. My volunteer hours specific to PT started in January as well, and currently I'm studying for my first GRE. My ultimate goal is to do a Neurological Residency to be specialized after the DPT.

Some info about me:

Major: B.S. Psychology, The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
(all my electives in Molecular/Cellular Biology)
I transferred there after two years of gen. Eds. At a local community college.

Cuml. GPA: 3.2-3.3
Prereq. GPA: 3.0-3.5 (not sure on PTCAS calculations)

GRE: to be determined

Volunteer Experience: (by this app cycle)

100 hrs Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago (research floor, mostly inpatient) Hospital A
50 hrs Day Rehab (stroke, MS, …) Hospital B
40 hrs Outpatient (ortho, some neuro) Hospital B

Healthcare Experience: (past)

1.5 years as a patient transporter at a Medical Hospital (27hrs/wk avg.)

I plan to apply to the following programs:
Northwestern
Boston
Duke
UIC
UWashington
UFlorida

Now to get to my question, with my background/stats if I don't earn acceptance into one of the above programs do you think I should:

Option A: Take more post-bacc. Coursework in kinesiology and reapply next cycle

Option B: Go for a M.S. in Kinesiology and then reapply

Option C: Get a secondary B.S. in Kinesiology and reapply

In addition to choosing one of these paths, I plan to get a job as a rehab tech to build more hours. Also, if any of you ladies or gentlemen know of DPT programs with a "Neuro emphasis" please share. I heard Northwestern is somewhat Neuro, otherwise I was looking into DPT schools that offer Neurological Residencies as possibly having a Neurologically biased curriculum. Your advice and experiences are appreciated. I'm extremely glad to have found this forum.

Thanks
 
You should consider applying to a few more schools... With your current stats, you're not very competitive at UW and Duke (unless prereq GPA>3.4 and high GREs). Plan on a few backups.
 
Unless money is no object, I'd apply to schools that are much more reasonably priced. You should search the site for threads on how to best choose a school. Also, you're certainly no lock with that pre-req GPA, and if you don't get in this time around, retaking your pre-req classes is likely the place to start making your application look more robust.