Degrees for Physical Therapy School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alyshahj803

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are the most common degrees for PT school? I was thinking about doing nutrition which includes exercise and fitness? Or should I put all my effort into a science degree like biology or chemistry? Also it would help me if you could list appropriate degrees other the ones that are listed that are also acceptable?

Members don't see this ad.

Any of those degrees are common for people going to PT school, so I say choose the one that you are the most interested in! I started off as a biology major but didn't like it too much, so I switched to kinesiology and LOVED it. Some people in PT schools were biology majors and loved that, so really, it's up to you!

The smartest plan is to find a degree that overlaps with most of the pre-reqs for whichever school(s) you plan on attending. Another good thing to do would be to to contact the admins of those same schools and find out which were common majors of those that were accepted. Commonly I've heard of bio,chem, kines, exercise sports science, psych, etc..

Members don't see this ad :)
What are the most common degrees for PT school? I was thinking about doing nutrition which includes exercise and fitness? Or should I put all my effort into a science degree like biology or chemistry? Also it would help me if you could list appropriate degrees other the ones that are listed that are also acceptable?

I highly agree with DPTErudition. I graduated with a BS in nutrition science in 2007 with intent to pursue a career in nutrition so I've had to take/retake a number of prerequisites to meet the requirements for PT school. I will have a total of 182 credits prior to PT school. Whatever "degree" you choose, make sure the credits you are taking for your degree are also meeting the prerequisite requirements for PT school. I don't regret what I've learned, but adcoms seem to care very little about what I've done extra. They simply want their requirements fulfilled.

I got my degree in Pre-Clinical Allied Health. It covered all the pre-reqs for PT and PA school.

ohh man there are soo many areas, nutrition, biomechanics, kinesiology, sport science, PE, therapy, sport injuries, etc. go with what you love!