Delay in uploading lectures?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jonpalnile

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you who do not go to lecture, at what time does your school upload the daily lectures? If lecture is from 8am-1pm, then wouldn't 1-2pm be the earliest that lectures could be uploaded? If that's the case then what do you do if you still want to wake up early? Do you just review the previous days material from 8am-1pm? If you watch recorded lectures, are you always a day behind?

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on the school. My school archives lecture transcripts (which says everything the prof says) and the lecture change very little year to year. So I actually finish going through all the lectures for the day before 9 or 10am and I don't watch the lecture videos at all.

Ask upperclassman if your school archives videos or transcripts.

Otherwise you can just preread whatever book is useful for the block before watching the lecture

My school was absolutely awful. They were a stinker.

There were consistent problems uploading those videos. And not only that the lecture slides were half the time not available prior to the start of the lecture. Perhaps these were issues that never happened at my undergrad so I had a difficult time tolerating the tardiness and lack of responsibility. But it truly was a nightmare.

Members don't see this ad :)
Usually got uploaded after every lecture so I would just have to offset myself by an hour. Speeding lectures up usually meant I would get ahead though so I listened to archived lecture a lot.

Reactions: 1 user
Unless lectures or lecturers changed, or a recording wasn't available I always watched recordings from one of the classes above me. I usually tried to knockout the entire week's lectures Sun-Mon or Mon-Tues and then just spend the rest of the week studying/reviewing. So unless I had mandatory stuff I got up whenever.

Reactions: 1 users
Usually got uploaded after every lecture so I would just have to offset myself by an hour. Speeding lectures up usually meant I would get ahead though so I listened to archived lecture a lot.

Unless lectures or lecturers changed, or a recording wasn't available I always watched recordings from one of the classes above me. I usually tried to knockout the entire week's lectures Sun-Mon or Mon-Tues and then just spend the rest of the week studying/reviewing. So unless I had mandatory stuff I got up whenever.

Do you guys take notes while listening to lectures or do you just watch it w/o taking notes and then just look over the ppt like 3x before the exam?

Do you guys take notes while listening to lectures or do you just watch it w/o taking notes and then just look over the ppt like 3x before the exam?
Depended on the lecturer/topic and what was provided in terms of PowerPoints or a handout. 1st year, with a few exceptions, if we were given a PowerPoint I typed notes onto the slides while watching the lecture then made my own summary/outline that I studied from. If the lecturer provided an outline/handout they were usually pretty good and to the point and I just printed them and annotated in the margins as I watched lecture, and I just studied from that. 2nd year, for Path I typed notes into PowerPoints then added the material from lecture that wasn't in Pathoma into the margins of Pathoma studied solely from that and ditched the PowerPoints. For pharm I just went through FA and highlighted the AEs our prof emphasized and occasionally added additional facts about drugs that weren't in FA but were emphasized in lecture. I only studied from pharm PowerPoints if the lecture was heavy on algorithms/best practice guidelines that were fair game for exams.

Reactions: 1 user

Wow that's a great idea. Thanks!

They are usually recorded and uploaded individually. So lecture is from 8-9, 9-10, etc. Usually posted 30 mins or so after the lecture ends.

Reactions: 1 users
Four hour lead time? My dean tongue lashes us if we don't get them out 48 hrs ahead of lecture!

Students should ALWAYS get on Faculty members cases if they are not timely about uploading lectures. It's your time, not theirs.

For those of you who do not go to lecture, at what time does your school upload the daily lectures? If lecture is from 8am-1pm, then wouldn't 1-2pm be the earliest that lectures could be uploaded? If that's the case then what do you do if you still want to wake up early? Do you just review the previous days material from 8am-1pm? If you watch recorded lectures, are you always a day behind?

Is it just me or has Allo blown up in terms of M1/2s asking questions in general? Back when I was an M1, there were only 10 or so posts per day (or at least it felt that way).

Nothing wrong with that, glad to see a burgeoning community...anyways, at my school the lag was originally two hours and each year it gets smaller. Right now it's at about 30 mins. As for your first question, aren't the lectures split into hour blocks so that one recording can end and can start being uploaded online? This is how your 8 am lecture could potentially show up on stream at 9. You won't be a day behind. If you stream you can start by reviewing yesterday's material and when the new lectures pop up you can start watching them at a comfortable speed.

OP, I suggest you start by attending classes just to see if you like it. If it's not for you, stream, but come back every now and then.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just make some scribbles in the margin and then run through the notes over and over. With that said, our school generally provides ppts with notes/extremely detailed ppts. Second year was path heavy so I lumped pathoma into my studying.

There's a few options I think:
Run a day behind lecture
Read syllabus for the day in the morning
Review the previous day in the morning
Pre-read for the next day in the morning

If upload times are inconsistent, I think it's easier to go with whatever will make your schedule more consistent

Everything gets uploaded around 2PM. This means I wake up around Noon. A lot of the upperclassmen just run a day behind. I pretty much can't "catch a morning lecture" because my sleep schedule is based around skipping them :laugh:

Ours usually takes 1-3 hrs to be uploaded. Quite annoying. I am beginning to think about experimenting with just not watching any lectures, and reading instead. We'll see.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
How did you experiment end up going? I too am debating this strategy.

How did you experiment end up going? I too am debating this strategy.

Ehh I didn't really see much change to be honest. I'm sometimes lazy so if I don't have anything to get up for in the morning I will sleep in and procrastinate. I need structure to keep myself on track. So less time spent watching lectures was offset by increased procrastination.

If you are disciplined it would probably work for you. Try to read RR or watch pathoma or something to get a basic idea of the topic before looking at your professors Powerpoints. The only downside is you don't know exactly what your professor emphasizes in lecture i.e. sometimes they will say "you need to know this" and that's code for "this will be on the test." But overall I didn't find myself missing any questions on the exam because of that.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Last edited:
I'm at a top 10 program and I hardly watch any lectures to be honest.

congrats bro thats big news

LOL I detect quite a bit of sarcasm in your response. I should I say I wasn't posting that to be obnoxious or to brag, but it was more for anyone considering that strategy or looking for ways to create more time in their day to do other things. The top 10 part was an arguably weak way of adding credibility to my strategy. I could've added more context to my post for sure.

LOL I detect quite a bit of sarcasm in your response. I should I say I wasn't posting that to be obnoxious or to brag, but it was more for anyone considering that strategy or looking for ways to create more time in their day to do other things. The top 10 part was an arguably weak way of adding credibility to my strategy. I could've added more context to my post for sure.

The top 10 thing is a mom sequitur. People at Harvard can flunk their classes too.

The top 10 thing is a mom sequitur. People at Harvard can flunk their classes too.
You're right, even though I've suggested that I am not flunking anything. It's more of a psych tactic. Ppl like you will recognize that it doesn't matter, but most people looking for help will be interested. More of a hook than a logical premise.