How do I adjust to medical school lectures

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1139574

Its not that my school is bad with lectures but man medical school lectures are so much boring compared to undergrad lectures. The information is all over the place and its so much information. I just feel like its such an inefficient way to learn. I want to go to lecture for the social aspect of it but at the same time I barely pay attention because its so boring. How did you guys adjust to medical school lectures

Members don't see this ad.

Answers will depend on whether your school writes their own exams or uses NBME questions.

Edit: if your school uses in house exams, you will most likely need to study lectures to pass. If your school uses NBME exams, you can just go the UFAPS B&B route (uworld, first aid, pathoma, sketchy, boards and beyond) route and ignore lectures completely.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
If you don't have to go and the lectures are recorded, I'd recommend just skipping and spending your day using 3rd party resources to study. Then once the recording is available, watch it at 2X to see if there's anything they covered that you missed with your own studying. That's what I did, worked out well.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If you don't have to go and the lectures are recorded, I'd recommend just skipping and spending your day using 3rd party resources to study. Then once the recording is available, watch it at 2X to see if there's anything they covered that you missed with your own studying. That's what I did, worked out well.

If you're struggling I would err on the side of watching the lectures first over using third party resources because professors will emphasize things that first aid/b&b/sketchy etc. won't and vice versa, especially if it's being taught not solely from a clinical perspective like from a PhD

If you're struggling I would err on the side of watching the lectures first over using third party resources because professors will emphasize things that first aid/b&b/sketchy etc. won't and vice versa, especially if it's being taught not solely from a clinical perspective like from a PhD
As long as OP gets to the lectures eventually, it doesn't matter what they watch first imo. If they cover all the most relevant stuff via one of those resources (which, imo, are more helpful for retaining info than lectures), then they can utilize the lectures to focus on the additional stuff that the professors want. OP probably isn't paying attention to the lectures when they go to them, so it's a waste of time to watch them in real time.

Reactions: 2 users
As long as OP gets to the lectures eventually, it doesn't matter what they watch first imo. If they cover all the most relevant stuff via one of those resources (which, imo, are more helpful for retaining info than lectures), then they can utilize the lectures to focus on the additional stuff that the professors want. OP probably isn't paying attention to the lectures when they go to them, so it's a waste of time to watch them in real time.

I wasn't clear but I'm not advocating for watching lectures in real time, what I'm saying is if you're struggling to keep up with all the information I would watch the lecture recordings on 1.5-2x speed and make sure you're not overstudying material in 3rd party resources that isn't going to be tested on in-house exams.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
my school used a mix of relatively reasonable inhouse and nbme questions for exams. i watched <5 inhouse lectures during preclinical years and tried to skim slides and study with friends who used lectures the days leading up to the test to hit the high points. worked ok for me.
we also have true pass fail preclinical years so i viewed school exams more as practice tests for step 1 and 2.
very school dependent though.

Reactions: 1 users
Answers will depend on whether your school writes their own exams or uses NBME questions.

Edit: if your school uses in house exams, you will most likely need to study lectures to pass. If your school uses NBME exams, you can just go the UFAPS B&B route (uworld, first aid, pathoma, sketchy, boards and beyond) route and ignore lectures completely.
My school doesn't use NBME for in house exam. But questions are written in NBME style and we are allotted 1.5 minutes per question

how much did you study each day and how did you use anki?

I'm doing this as well btw

how much did you study each day and how did you use anki?

I'm doing this as well btw
Treated studying like a 9-5. Except for the occasional mandatory lectures, my day would typically consist of waking up between 6:30a and 8a, going to the gym for 1-1.5 hrs, then watching OME videos and doing OME questions (occasionally B&B videos), making/doing quizlet questions (I personally preferred this over anki and rarely used anki), and then taking a lunch/relaxation break from like 12-1/1:30.

If any lecture recordings were posted by the early to mid afternoon, I'd use that time to watch them at 2x. I'd supplement this time with the same activity I did in the morning, and then around 4:30-5p, I'd call it a day and not touch a single study material for the rest of the day. During my study blocks, I'd take 10-15 min breaks every couple of hours to let myself do something mindless like check Instagram.

All in all, I'd say a normal day for me would consist of about 5-6 hrs/day total of studying (4.5-5 if you factor in all the times I'd randomly get distracted for a few mins hehe). About once a week I'd just use either the morning or the afternoon to relax and do nothing to preserve my sanity lol.

I'd usually study for either the morning or the afternoon on one of the weekend days, and save the other weekend day for doing whatever I wanted. If there were ever weekend days where I was doing outta town, I'd usually get rid of the lazy day during the week in order to may up for no weekend studying. This worked reasonably well for me, I typically scored around mid-80s on exams.

Our curriculum is pass/fail, so in hindsight I definitely could've gotten away with doing less. But my main point is that you will find that treating medical school like a 9-5 and structuring it similarly can be very helpful in achieving efficient studying while preserving wellbeing. These are just my thoughts tho, others may disagree. And if they do, I'm not gonna debate them about it. I'm sure their method works fine too lol.

In med school I started running out of time to study. Hard to go to all lectures and spend time actively learning. I had to pick and choose if I could just use the book/learning materials, or go to lectures due to in house exams that depend on attendance. It was always a blend for me. Each class may be different. If I went to all lectures, I had too little time to study.