Delaying graduation after not matching.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RD26

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want to delay graduation after not matching. That way I can complete audition rotations as a medical student. Unfortunately, I have looked into this pretty late and have completed all my required rotations except for one which starts next week. I tried reaching out to my school about delaying but they have informed me they won't allow me delay because they can't allow me to rotate over the required number of rotations for graduation, and since I only have one rotation left which is a required rotation, I won't be able to do any auditions if I delay. Has anyone ever ran into this? Seems like they could just allow me to do auditions without them counting toward the number I need for graduation.

Members don't see this ad.

I want to delay graduation after not matching. That way I can complete audition rotations as a medical student. Unfortunately, I have looked into this pretty late and have completed all my required rotations except for one which starts next week. I tried reaching out to my school about delaying but they have informed me they won't allow me delay because they can't allow me to rotate over the required number of rotations for graduation, and since I only have one rotation left which is a required rotation, I won't be able to do any auditions if I delay. Has anyone ever ran into this? Seems like they could just allow me to do auditions without them counting toward the number I need for graduation.
Instead of delaying for rotations see if you can delay graduation for a research year

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

This is something I imagine that is becoming more and more popular. Hopefully someone answers your questions. I see what the issue is (you want more time to do auditions, research, etc.) for a more competitive field and want to do it with the support of your school and demote yourself down a class. That said, the reason's confusing to me:

"because they can't allow me to rotate over the required number of rotations for graduation, and since I only have one rotation left which is a required rotation, I won't be able to do any auditions if I delay"

What does that mean?
They won't allow you to do another year because you finished all but 1 rotation? because you plan to do nothing but XYZ specialty aways? Clarify that.

Best of luck!

I have completed every rotation to graduate except one which starts in a week no it’s a core rotation. I asked to delay graduation because I wanted to complete more auditions in my desired field, however they said this isn’t possible because I only have that one rotation left. In my mind this doesn’t make sense. Why can’t I do unofficial auditions and have them not count toward graduation? Hopefully that makes sense.

Makes sense.

Thinking aloud here:
It might have to do with billing. Are you going to pay another year of tuition? If so, that's unfair to the economically less fortunate. Are they not charging you it? How do they determine who gets that treatment?

Last edited:
Makes sense.

Thinking aloud here:
It might have to do with billing. Are you going to pay another year of tuition? If so, that's unfair to the economically less fortunate. Are they not charging you it? How do they determine who gets that treatment?
It can also have to do with the school’s reputation. This is especially true for lesser known/newer schools. If one delays graduation and doesn’t match again, that is 2 straight years in which the match/placement rate will be affected. Newer schools want to place/match people at whatever cost even if it’s into less competitive specialties/programs