Delaying the DAT and practice exams

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

molarseeker

Hopeful Future Int. Rad
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am scheduled to take the DAT on September 20 but I think I may delay it 3 weeks. I am just now starting the DAT Destroyer problems and the CrackPAT software and I am thinking this should take me at least two weeks to go through leaving me about a week to do practice tests. I think it would be much better for me if I delayed the exam 3 weeks. If I did this, I would have time for:

rewatching Chad's Videos
redoing the Destroyer a second time
doing more practice tests

The downside to doing this is that I will be taking the exam in the beginning of the second week at school. I go to UCLA and am on the quarter schedule so classes more pretty quick, but I feel like the extra 3 weeks will allow me to hopefully squeeze in a few more practice exams and solidify the concepts. What are your opinions on the delay? Do you think I should delay or should I just take it on the 20th?

Also, what are the companies that offer the practice exams? I am confused on which products I should get. Money isn't really a problem. I just want the best prep stuff. I want to do at least 10 full length practice tests so let me know what the good ones are. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

3x Topscore
7x Achiever

That's 10 practice tests. Even if you plan on taking 2 a day, I don't think you will be ready by the 20th considering you're JUST starting on destroyer and CDP. 3 weeks delay sounds good to me. You don't sound like you're applying this cycle either, so take your time.

3x Topscore
7x Achiever

That's 10 practice tests. Even if you plan on taking 2 a day, I don't think you will be ready by the 20th considering you're JUST starting on destroyer and CDP. 3 weeks delay sounds good to me. You don't sound like you're applying this cycle either, so take your time.

Yeah I'm applying next year. Man the PAT is hard!!! I just did my first practice on CDP and didnt even finish! Got 80 on angle ranking but 46 on keyholes!! Ugh!!

CDP takes a lot of practice. I did my first 4 or 5 exams untimed, just to pick up the skill. I timed myself outside of the program to gauge my improvement and I got closer to an hour pretty fast. At first it took me 1 hour and 20 min. Now I finish CDP with about 12 minutes to spare and I'm consistently getting 22. Hopefully that translates to a good score on the real thing. There are some really good tips for the different sections here that helped me tremendously, especially with hole punching. Also, use elimination, especially in pattern folding.

Members don't see this ad :)
CDP takes a lot of practice. I did my first 4 or 5 exams untimed, just to pick up the skill. I timed myself outside of the program to gauge my improvement and I got closer to an hour pretty fast. At first it took me 1 hour and 20 min. Now I finish CDP with about 12 minutes to spare and I'm consistently getting 22. Hopefully that translates to a good score on the real thing. There are some really good tips for the different sections here that helped me tremendously, especially with hole punching. Also, use elimination, especially in pattern folding.

I agree. I also reccommend doing five CDP before you jump into achiever. Then, use achiever for 7 days then go back to cdp after studying your PAT mistakes.

The delay is definitely a good idea. As a UCLA student myself, I know that the quarter system is quite rough, but fortunately for us, we have week 0 that would buy you some time since it's rather relaxing and slow in the beginning (for the freshies to settle in). Well good luck! I'm personally planning to take it this 22nd :D

The delay is definitely a good idea. As a UCLA student myself, I know that the quarter system is quite rough, but fortunately for us, we have week 0 that would buy you some time since it's rather relaxing and slow in the beginning (for the freshies to settle in). Well good luck! I'm personally planning to take it this 22nd :D

Good luck! I am in the process of rewatching chad right now, then I gotta do destroyer and wanna do 10 practice tests so hopefully I will be ready by the 9th ish