delete please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lilian123

2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I would think if it's not in the contract or any other documents you got when you started residency, you should be good to go. Might ask an employment attorney, many will give a free one time consultation.

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Does your contract refer to some sort of residency organization or hospital handbook or whatever for policies? Some details like this may be hiding in there instead of your individual contract.

Reactions: 1 users
Not recommending this, but if you’re leaving the country, I doubt there is
much they can do if you violate a term of the contract.

Reactions: 1 user
Most states have 30 days for minimum for avoiding patient abandonment. If you do your due diligence to coordinate patient hand offs, i.e. if you have any outpatients, then you might not need to worry about such a 30 day period.

If you are an intern or don't have any clinic patients you have been assigned, then you don't have any real obligation other than to finish off your current rotation.

Ultimately, dig thru the handbooks, and then formulate your game plan.

Try not to burn you bridge with state licensure so if you ever decided to come back, you have that option.

Only do this if you're 100% sure you're never coming back to the U.S. to work. Otherwise, you're going to be screwed in terms of licensing. If you need to leave due to family or something, I would take a leave of absence and return to complete training.

Reactions: 2 users
If you're employed through a hospital, I'd imagine there was a non residency component to the contract with typical 90 day notice language.

Only do this if you never want to practice in the US, but if you don’t then congratulations, hope it works out!

I understand that I'm committing a career suicide when it comes to working in the US. I'm employed through the university. I read through the handbook and there is not a word about a resident voluntarily resigning. Thank you for comments.

Don't forget to reach out to the various consulates US? Home country? to let them know you are ending your work on the Visa. Don't want any spill over to impact tourist visas in the future. Low risk I suspect, but can't hurt to formalize those communications.

May I ask which country?

I've dreamt of returning to my motherland to live, but I haven't set foot on a plane in twenty years' time. I've looked into the Queen Mary, but it doesn't seem practical for where I need to go. And I don't have the disposition for a freighter.

Wow. Leaving just the US or medicine altogether?

I understand that I'm committing a career suicide when it comes to working in the US. I'm employed through the university. I read through the handbook and there is not a word about a resident voluntarily resigning. Thank you for comments.

You madwoman/madman. I'll pour one out for you OP.

(Congratulations... Wish you all the best in the future! :))

Last year we had a resident resign one day and never return. It can be done.

Very act of asking this question speaks about our field in general. I wonder if there is any other field where people would fear of resignation due to inability to work in the field upon resignation.