DELETE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Afiji

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Edit: feel better now. Instant shock was all it was. Thanks for the help

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
i just matched to a program very low on my list. What are the best ways to look for programs who still have openings at this time? Or is there no way to try anything at this point?

Once you’re matched you’re obligated by the NRMP to start at that place, I think it’s 45 or so days. I don’t think you’d be able/allowed to switch out and plus remember there is a horde of unmatched applicants applying to places with open positions, it’ll be an uphill climb to find a place.

If you matched, even if it’s low on your list, feel fortunate. Sounds like you came close to not matching at all.

If you truly don’t want to end up at a certain program and totally hate it, then by all means don’t rank it if you have a competitive application. But be wary if you have limited stats/IMG status - you don’t want to decrease your chance of matching so I understand the dilemma.

So the only way possible would to just reapply next year? Obviously while working w the program I matched with today?

What if I find an unfillednposition now?

So the only way possible would to just reapply next year? Obviously while working w the program I matched with today?

Honestly, feel lucky you have matched. There is a friend of mine who has been in tears for days who found out she didn't match and has no place to go. If you check the SOAP thread, plenty of people there would kill to be in the position you are in now.

You are entering one of the top most paid professions in the US. It should be an honor you are matched.

Reactions: 1 users
i just matched to a program very low on my list. What are the best ways to look for programs who still have openings at this time? Or is there no way to try anything at this point?

You are committed to starting the program and staying at least 45 days. After that, you could try to find an open position, but it would be after the academic year had started. For future readers: don't rank programs you would not be willing to go to for residency. For people unhappy with their Match results, read the SOAP thread.

Any unfilled position you find now is not likely to still be unfilled by the time you are eligible to pursue it. The Match agreement, which you agreed to, said that you would be bound by the results of the Match. You will need to show up, preferably with a smile on your face, and you might as well give the program your best shot. The programs you ranked higher filled before they reached your name on the rank list, which means the program you matched to is your best option. I know you feel disappointed, but there are probably some terrific things about the program that you aren't thinking of right now (or that you'll discover once you're there). Lots of people who feel like you do now end up liking their program in the end.

But, yes, after the 45 days required by the terms of the Match, you would be free to look for another program, or to register with ERAS and go through the whole Match process again for the 2019 cycle. You'll still need to put your best foot forward and work hard while at your program--the new program will need a letter from the current PD in order for you to transfer.

Reactions: 2 users

Why did you rank that program if your first thought is how do I get out of the contract? You really won’t consider completing training at said place? That’s far and away the easiest and most painless plan.

Reactions: 1 users

What part of "the Match is a binding contract" is difficult to understand.

You are committed to starting your program and being there for at least 45 days per the terms of that contract (which you willingly and voluntarily signed). After that time, you are welcome to walk up to the PD, smack him/her across the face and walk out.

But here's the real issue...what do you think will make you a better candidate, and more likely to match higher on your list or at a "better" program next year? The answer is that there is absolutely nothing you can do between now and then that will improve your chances, and in reality, no matter what you do this year (complete it or quit), you will be a weaker applicant next year.

I understand that you're disappointed with your match, but you did match, and you obviously felt that matching at this program was better than not matching at all, or you wouldn't have ranked it. Me telling you that there are (literally) thousands of people out there who didn't match or SOAP this year and would (figuratively) kill for your position isn't really that helpful to you. But it's the truth.

Honestly, take some time to yourself. You matched. It's OK to mourn not matching higher on your list than you wanted to. But after a few hours/days/weeks, you need to move on and get ready to be the best damn intern that program has ever seen.

EDIT: @mcl and @AdmiralChz were both typing at the same time I was writing this reply. Otherwise I would have left well enough alone.

Reactions: 4 users
Look for the best in your new program @Afiji. This is an exciting next chapter in your life and there will be much to like and much to dislike in any program. Whether you're happy or not in the end will largely be a matter of your mindset and emotional habits, so start off on a good foot.

Congratulations - you matched!
(in all sincerity)

Reactions: 4 users