delete

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

struggleboat

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
523 URM is mouthwatering for many schools.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If I don’t apply this upcoming cycle, it’s going to expire. And I am no where near ready to apply this upcoming cycle

push out an app as fast as you. just do it. find an office that councils minorities on med school apps. Some at your local big state school for sure rhat should be more than willing.

Dp you have a disability, tragedy, tough upbringing, documented mental health issues you can use to explain away the GPA?

The app for med school legit has section for extenuating circumstances.

Reactions: 1 user
also residencies like URMs. Being a DO will screw you less than other people in that position

Apply this cycle, and apply early.

Apply for FAP if possible.

You have a ridiculously high MCAT in a cycle where a good amount of people have yet to attempt the MCAT due to COVID. Schools will throw money at you.

I wish you the best of luck!

Reactions: 1 users
If I don’t apply this upcoming cycle, it’s going to expire. And I am no where near ready to apply this upcoming cycle
I don't know what state you live in, but most TX schools will take MCAT scores as old as 2016. Might be worth it to apply TMDSAS, your app goes to all schools for one app fee.

I don't know what state you live in, but most TX schools will take MCAT scores as old as 2016. Might be worth it to apply TMDSAS, your app goes to all schools for one app fee.
wait really?? I'm in TX

Where is your state of residence ? What are your ECs ? Do you have any physician shadowing hours ? Any clinical volunteering or employment hours with patient contact ?

Since your MCAT is 523 you should apply in June and submit all your secondaries by July. I suggest these schools:
All your Texas MD schools
Howard
Meharry
Morehouse
UCLA Drew
Tulane
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Hofstra
Einstein
New York Medical College
Seton Hall
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
George Washington
NOVA MD
Eastern Virginia
West Virginia
Miami
USF Morsani
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Indiana
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State

Texas

Non clinical volunteering: 150 hours (best buddies)
Clinical: 1000+ hours (employed as CNA)

Shadowing
Family medicine physician: 30 hours
Pediatrician: 42 hours
Orthopedic surgeon: 60 hours

I have no research experience and will not be able get any experience soon due to the current pandemic.
Get started on that app pronto!

Members don't see this ad :)
i'd go for it this cycle. Great MCAT, URM, + good clinical experience. I think you've got a decent shot.

Since your MCAT is 523 you should apply in June and submit all your secondaries by July. I suggest these schools:
All your Texas MD schools
Howard
Meharry
Morehouse
UCLA Drew
Tulane
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Hofstra
Einstein
New York Medical College
Seton Hall
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
George Washington
NOVA MD
Eastern Virginia
West Virginia
Miami
USF Morsani
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Indiana
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State

even with no research and a mild upward trend???

even with no research and a mild upward trend???
Research is not essential for many of those schools. GPA-MCAT grid shows 6 of 8 AA applicants received a MD acceptance with your GPA and MCAT. All AA applicants with your MCAT and a GPA above 3.2 received an acceptance.

Research is not essential for many of those schools. GPA-MCAT grid shows 6 of 8 AA applicants received a MD acceptance with your GPA and MCAT. All AA applicants with your MCAT and a GPA above 3.2 received an acceptance.

Thank you for the clarification and the list!

I think you got a great shot for MD schools, especially in Texas. Apply this cycle.

Have you ever been involved in any academic enrichment programs? Have you reached out to other students through AMSA or SNMA? Have you connected with diversity/student affairs officers at the Texas schools where you likely have the highest probability for II's and acceptances?

Also agree that you should apply this cycle OP!
please update us next year and/or once you hopefully get accepted! Good luck :)

How can I find the GPA and MCAT grids?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Have you ever been involved in any academic enrichment programs? Have you reached out to other students through AMSA or SNMA? Have you connected with diversity/student affairs officers at the Texas schools where you likely have the highest probability for II's and acceptances?

No to all of these...also part of reason why I feel so unprepared to apply this cycle.