delete

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Curriculum: Integrated systems based, i.e. doing head and neck concurrently with neuroanatomy.

Cost: Too much

Faculty: Hit or miss, but more often hit. The professors are very enthusiastic and knowledgeable about their chosen subjects, but some aren't great lecturers to say the least. Others are absolutely fantastic, and everyone is very approachable and kind, though some will give you some good natured ribbing for your ignorance :)

Reputation: I've heard it bashed, I've heard it lauded. I laud it.

Clinical Rotations: Haven't experienced it personally, but it's definitely a strength. You'll see stuff in Bellevue that you couldn't make up.

Housing: Lousy, but about to improve dramatically; Rubin hall (dorms) is being demolished and we're moving into apartments down the road at the end of the year.

Study areas: Pleasantly diverse. I've got 4 areas I rotate through in the medical center, plus the NYPL on 42nd and 5th and Bobst at the NYU undergrad campus.

Social scene: A+. We are the party med school, and in the best part of Manhattan for it!

Local Hospitals: Tisch, Bellevue, VA, Hospital for Joint Diseases, and whatever those construction buildings are going to be.

Board Prep: I hear it's great.

Specialty: Ortho, Plastics, Urology among others.

Grades: P/F first 2 years, and thank God. They claim if you score in a certain percentage you get a point towards AOA, but nobody seems to really care.

Overall Grade: A+. I could not be more thrilled with this place, this neighborhood, these people, these facilities, and this opportunity.

Members don't see this ad.

Curriculum:
The curriculum is currently under construction. It is supposed to be completely revamped for the Class of 2015. Right now it is a block system, not organ based and little PBL. The restructuring is trying to add more PBL to the physiology course. Grade: B

Location: Great location in a mid-sized city. Milwaukee doesn't have the size of New York or Philly, but there is plenty to do in the city and its only 90 minutes to Chicago. Only catch is that it does get cold here from December - March Grade: A-

Cost: It was about 53K last year, and I'm not sure about what it is for next year, but probably not more than 5% increase. Great price for a private school, which is probably based on the fact that Milwaukee is a pretty cheap city to live in. Grade: A+

Faculty: Most of the faculty here are amazing. They are very helpful and try to make themselves as available as possible. There are of course some that are quite the opposite, but that will happen at every school. Grade: B+

Reputation: Usually just outside top 50 in USNEWS. Well known school and hospitals. Grade: A-

Clinical Rotations: Haven't gone through them, but the main hospital is a level 1 trauma center, as well as having one of the top children's hospitals in the country. Grade: A-

Housing: There is no student housing offered by the school. Everyone has to find their own place. The school does help by getting incoming students in contact with current students and has some meetings to help people who need housing. The housing market around the area is pretty good. Lots of the landlords know that students want places, and they will try to get you to come to them because they want someone who will have a stable background and possibly 4 years of rent. There are a lot of housing complexes within 10 minutes driving of the school as well as lots of apartment buildings within walking distance. Grade: B+

Study areas: There are study area, but sometimes I wish that there were more. There are about 20 small rooms for students to use, plus a couple of rooms in the library. Many students will study in the classrooms where the walls are completely made of white boards or in the cafeteria if they want a large study group. If you want to study at school, there is definitely a place for it. Grade: B

Social scene: Very good social scene. Milwaukee is known for being a beer city, and there are plenty of bars to go to. Most are in downtown, but well within driving range (about 15 minutes) and then from bar to bar is very walkable. Around the school there are some bars, but most students will go downtown. Grade A+

Local Hospitals: Froedtert Hospital, Childrens Hospital of Wisconsin, Zablocki VA Hospital, as well as a lot of rural hospitals that are affiliated with the school where students can rotate and mentor/shadow. Grade: A

Board Prep: Haven't had to go through it yet, but from what I hear its okay. Grade: B

Specialty: Pretty much everywhere for everything. 2008 match is here: http://www.mcw.edu/FileLibrary/User/pconfer/medschool/2008matchappts.pdf
Grade: A

Grades: Honors/HP/P/LP/Fail. In general they are at standard cutoffs, but some classes will move the cutoff up or down (ex. Anatomy was 93% for honors) Grade: B+

Overall Grade: I would rate is as an A. It is a great school and I am enjoying my time here so far.

Members don't see this ad :)
The SDN School site is more for interview reactions and tips. The responses on this thread is more of an opinion on the school itself. No?

Members can post "School Reviews" now where they critique different aspects of the school they attend -- things like cost, curriculum, faculty, grading, rotations, housing, social environment, etc. It's a new feature, so the mods/admins are trying to get more people to contribute. Once it gets more traffic, I really think it will be an amazing resource for people when comparing schools.

howard university??

The "School Review" feature would be great. Easier than combing the forums for that information. Hopefully they will have it up and running soon.

howard university??

The "School Review" feature would be great. Easier than combing the forums for that information. Hopefully they will have it up and running soon.

The more reviews that get posted, the sooner it will be up. You can already view the reviews for some schools that have the minimum number of responses. :thumbup:

http://www.studentdoctor.net/schools/

I lol'd at the review for Zlatko School of Medicine

Why does it take 3 reviews minimum to show up? That would mean many of those students wasted their time writing the review since no one can see it yet, if ever. I think posting here is way more beneficial!

It's an anonymity thing. The review is also a lot more complete than anything someone would come up with off the top of his head. It won't take long for all the U.S. schools to get 3 reviews (if you guys actually start doing them *ahem*). Basically, I'm not seeing your point. Why would you only post your opinion here, in a thread that will vanish soon (as it has several times before) instead of in an organized database?

Members don't see this ad :)
What is the point of your "organized" database when 99% of the school reviews CAN'T be seen? Thats my point...

That sounds an awful lot like "Why vote? Mine won't make a difference, anyway." 3 reviews is all it takes for 100% for the reviews to be visible. I'm not saying you can't also copy and paste your survey comments in this thread, if you like, but the best way to be heard is to post in the reviews section.

Is this somewhere in the allo form or somewhere that med students will see so they can review the schools? doesn't make sense to have something like this out there for pre-meds but not have it advertised to the med students.

Yep, it's available to everyone, and we're working on the advertising thing. Just follow one of the links above. You'll see it. Click on one of the schools that has 3+ reviews to see what the final product looks like.

edit: The link is now in my signature, too.

My school doesn't have 3+ yet. boo.

Curriculum:
The curriculum is currently under construction. It is supposed to be completely revamped for the Class of 2015. Right now it is a block system, not organ based and little PBL. The restructuring is trying to add more PBL to the physiology course. Grade: B

Location: Great location in a mid-sized city. Milwaukee doesn't have the size of New York or Philly, but there is plenty to do in the city and its only 90 minutes to Chicago. Only catch is that it does get cold here from December - March Grade: A-

Cost: It was about 53K last year, and I'm not sure about what it is for next year, but probably not more than 5% increase. Great price for a private school, which is probably based on the fact that Milwaukee is a pretty cheap city to live in. Grade: A+

Faculty: Most of the faculty here are amazing. They are very helpful and try to make themselves as available as possible. There are of course some that are quite the opposite, but that will happen at every school. Grade: B+

Reputation: Usually just outside top 50 in USNEWS. Well known school and hospitals. Grade: A-

Clinical Rotations: Haven't gone through them, but the main hospital is a level 1 trauma center, as well as having one of the top children's hospitals in the country. Grade: A-

Housing: There is no student housing offered by the school. Everyone has to find their own place. The school does help by getting incoming students in contact with current students and has some meetings to help people who need housing. The housing market around the area is pretty good. Lots of the landlords know that students want places, and they will try to get you to come to them because they want someone who will have a stable background and possibly 4 years of rent. There are a lot of housing complexes within 10 minutes driving of the school as well as lots of apartment buildings within walking distance. Grade: B+

Study areas: There are study area, but sometimes I wish that there were more. There are about 20 small rooms for students to use, plus a couple of rooms in the library. Many students will study in the classrooms where the walls are completely made of white boards or in the cafeteria if they want a large study group. If you want to study at school, there is definitely a place for it. Grade: B

Social scene: Very good social scene. Milwaukee is known for being a beer city, and there are plenty of bars to go to. Most are in downtown, but well within driving range (about 15 minutes) and then from bar to bar is very walkable. Around the school there are some bars, but most students will go downtown. Grade A+

Local Hospitals: Froedtert Hospital, Childrens Hospital of Wisconsin, Zablocki VA Hospital, as well as a lot of rural hospitals that are affiliated with the school where students can rotate and mentor/shadow. Grade: A

Board Prep: Haven't had to go through it yet, but from what I hear its okay. Grade: B

Specialty: Pretty much everywhere for everything. 2008 match is here: http://www.mcw.edu/FileLibrary/User/pconfer/medschool/2008matchappts.pdf
Grade: A

Grades: Honors/HP/P/LP/Fail. In general they are at standard cutoffs, but some classes will move the cutoff up or down (ex. Anatomy was 93% for honors) Grade: B+

Overall Grade: I would rate is as an A. It is a great school and I am enjoying my time here so far.
I'm an M4 at MCW, so I'll add a few comments. The cost that cubssox gave is the tuition + cost of living. The actual tuition is $38,000/year, with a $5000 discount for Wisconsin residents.

Curriculum: changing rapidly from what I had, which was simply traditional lectures organized by subject (not systems or organ-based). I liked it a lot. Our syllabi were very thorough, and all lectures were recorded as MP3s and put online the same day. I didn't go to class very much.

Location: very close to family, which was important to me. It's pretty cold though. MCW is actually in a suburb of Milwaukee about 15 minutes from downtown. It's a pretty suburban neighborhood in a safe area, but it's the only trauma center, so you still get the "Knife & Gun Club" patients.

Cost: for me, $33,000/year

Faculty: The clinical faculty are great. I'm going into surgery, and I made a point to meet with as many surgeons as possible, and they were very willing to fit me into a busy schedule to talk to me or work closely with me during my rotations.

Clinical Rotations: Awesome. Extremely wide variety available, and you have a lot of options. Some schools don't give you much latitude, but I got to pick and choose my third and fourth year. There's the big academic hospital, a world-class pediatric hospital on campus, a VA hospital with its own special VA flavor, rich suburban hospitals, inner city community hospitals with a lot of advanced pathology and indigent/uninsured patients, and hospitals in between.

Housing: apartments in Wauwatosa can be had for as little as $525 for a 2BR/1BA apt, or you could spend $1000/month for a really posh apartment. Downtown is trendier but more expensive.

Study areas: good library, open 15-16 hours a day, I think. The cafeteria is open 24/7/365 for students to study (they only serve food from 7a-2p, but the attached hospital has a 24/7 grill). The building is keycard access only after hours, so it's pretty quiet and secluded. There are "nerd rooms" that are great for studying, but during exams, they get snatched up fast. You can always find study areas though.

Social scene: Milwaukee's social scene focuses on alcohol, but there's a lot of summer festivals. I'm from the area, so I already had friends outside of my class, but it seems like a lot of my classmates do a lot of socializing together.

Board Prep: It's up to you. They do have an M3-sponsored USMLE prep during M2 that some people really like, but I just knuckled down as soon as M2 finals finished and studied my butt off for 4 weeks. Worked out well.

Overall Grade: I'd give it an A. I think it could be cheaper, but I can't say I've looked over their budget.

I actually think it makes quite a bit of sense to have three users before you publish the reviews. Removes individual bias making the review more usefull. Would appreciate seeing more reviews posted there, not to mention it helps out those in Haiti!

Speaking of which, I have a few more interview feedbacks to post.

Thanks for the MCW reviews! :)

Cincy anyone? ;)

Can someone review SUNY Upstate and Iowa please...

thanks

Tufts, Stonybrook, Temple, Illinois anybody?

monthly bumb... Know about the school review option but this is less official while everything continues to get up and running.

Cool thread! Can more people contribute to this? =D It's really helpful!