delete

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

icevyne25

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Probably a stupid question but what do you think of the outlook on pharmacy field will be 5 years from now like in 2018-2019? Do you think it will still be very saturated and hard to find a job?

Oh Jesus..

Did you miss the other 30 threads dedicated to this topic? hehe. Let's just say there are a lot of schools opening and a lot more planned. The number of schools opening won't be quelled until the number of applicants starts to fall, and that won't happen until this idea that the pharmacy profession is a bastion of easy money abates. That likely will probably start happening sometime around 2019, but the effects of over-saturation from both the number of schools opened and massive number of graduating pharmacists will be felt for decades.

Oh Jesus..

Did you miss the other 30 threads dedicated to this topic? hehe. Let's just say there are a lot of schools opening and a lot more planned. The number of schools opening won't be quelled until the number of applicants starts to fall, and that won't happen until this idea that the pharmacy profession is a bastion of easy money abates. That likely will probably start happening sometime around 2019, but the effects of over-saturation from both the number of schools opened and massive number of graduating pharmacists will be felt for decades.

But...but but BLS predicts a 25% growth in the next decade! All the baby boomers will be retiring and need meds, so there will be PLENTY of jobs for us! :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
Im always hearing stuff like that the economy will fix itself from being saturated or something like that.

Im always hearing stuff like that the economy will fix itself from being saturated or something like that.

It depends on who is giving you this information. Please don't tell me it's admission counselors.

It's possible for the job market to recover once new schools stop popping up and prospective students choose other professions due to the poor employment prospects in the field.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using SDN Mobile

It depends on who is giving you this information. Please don't tell me it's admission counselors.

It's possible for the job market to recover once new schools stop popping up and prospective students choose other professions due to the poor employment prospects in the field.

and the 65+ pharmacists start retiring :laugh:

and the 65+ pharmacists start retiring :laugh:

Considering the uneasiness of the job market and economy, I feel that the 65+ year-old pharmacists will try to squeeze a couple more years of work in before retiring.

Probably a stupid question but what do you think of the outlook on pharmacy field will be 5 years from now like in 2018-2019? Do you think it will still be very saturated and hard to find a job?

Terrible. Over saturated with no jobs or hope of employment for any graduating pharmacist. Coming out of school with 100K plus in loans and no way to pay it off. Anybody pursuing pharmacy from scratch now has to have a personality disorder. Nothing but dark times lie ahead for pharmacy profession.

Terrible. Over saturated with no jobs or hope of employment for any graduating pharmacist. Coming out of school with 100K plus in loans and no way to pay it off. Anybody pursuing pharmacy from scratch now has to have a personality disorder. Nothing but dark times lie ahead for pharmacy profession.

Based on the way things are now, you're probably right.

A prepharm being sarcastic...

Honestly, there are way too many factors at work to say right now. We don't really know is about the best you'll get.

There are many competing issues in pharmacy right now which could both increase demand and decrease demand. There are a few factors increasing supply and pretty much just one factor decreasing supply. There is a lot we still don't know about how the Affordable Care Act will shake out and the role of pharmacists in the near future. I don't foresee it being better than it is right now, but it's very very difficult to say what will happen with any certainty. If you are choosing to go to school now, you have to be ok with that level of uncertainty!

the effects of over-saturation from both the number of schools opened and massive number of graduating pharmacists will be felt for decades so please use your head and think about going into a fiery train thats going down in flames