Deleted "Navy GMESB Results"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

notdeadyet

Still in California
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Folks:

I just deleted a post entitled "Navy GMESB Results."

While I know the poster's intentions were good, the post included a document identifying military sevicepeople's names and locations. Aside from SDN's policies, in this day and age, it's a security issue.

Unless others have any objections, I'm fine with general match listings being posted, but only after any identifying information has been stripped out.

Members don't see this ad.

My sincerest apologies for that, with all the anticipation for the list I was excited when I stumbled upon a copy, but had no intention of posting personal information of other service members. If anyone is interested in a modified version of this year's match list with no identifying info, let me know.

Unless others have any objections, I'm fine with general match listings being posted, but only after any identifying information has been stripped out.

Navy GME 2+ 2010 GMESB results with identifying info replaced with the first 5 characters of a SHA1 cryptographic hash of the names & last 4. That oughtta satisfy the most paranoid among ye. :)

Why include the hashed names? Because totally stripping identifying information makes the list substantially less useful. Many people applied to multiple programs, and some were even selected to multiple programs.

For example, there were three people who were selected to Portsmouth ER but who were also selected to anesthesia programs.

05bbb - both anesthesia & ER at Portsmouth
6a375 - anesthesia at NCC, ER at Portsmouth
ecd4a - both anesthesia & ER at Portsmouth

So there will be at least three alternates who are going to get good news about their hopes to do anesthesia or ER this year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Navy GME 2+ 2010 GMESB results with identifying info replaced with the first 5 characters of a SHA1 cryptographic hash of the names & last 4. That oughtta satisfy the most paranoid among ye. :)

Why include the hashed names? Because totally stripping identifying information makes the list substantially less useful. Many people applied to multiple programs, and some were even selected to multiple programs.

For example, there were three people who were selected to Portsmouth ER but who were also selected to anesthesia programs.

05bbb - both anesthesia & ER at Portsmouth
6a375 - anesthesia at NCC, ER at Portsmouth
ecd4a - both anesthesia & ER at Portsmouth

So there will be at least three alternates who are going to get good news about their hopes to do anesthesia or ER this year.

So I'm a little confused with the list. I'm primarily interested in the peds stuff, and it looks like 19 people applied for PGY2 training, but only 8 were selected? It only shows SD and Portsmouth as having selects, so what about the NNMC folks?

So I'm a little confused with the list. I'm primarily interested in the peds stuff, and it looks like 19 people applied for PGY2 training, but only 8 were selected? It only shows SD and Portsmouth as having selects, so what about the NNMC folks?

You can't tell the denominator. Not everyone is even an alternate. All you know is that at least 19 applied for 8 spots. Can't answer the NNMC question.

Oh and pgg...well done.

You can't tell the denominator. Not everyone is even an alternate. All you know is that at least 19 applied for 8 spots. Can't answer the NNMC question.

Oh and pgg...well done.

Then I'm still confused. I know there's more than 8 PGY2 spots between NMCP and SD (there's probably close to 8 alone at SD), so I guess I'm trying to figure out why the list shows substantially less selects than there are training spots.

Then I'm still confused. I know there's more than 8 PGY2 spots between NMCP and SD (there's probably close to 8 alone at SD), so I guess I'm trying to figure out why the list shows substantially less selects than there are training spots.

Unfortunately the Navy does not always allow the full # of selections. It is all based on a few numbers including end strength of that particular specialty, the number of GMO's needed, etc, etc.

It is my understanding that this year there was an emphasis on ensuring the GMO (esp FS class) was full due to a big drop last year and an expected huge shortage (40+) of flight surgeons to fill billets this year.

I also am wondering if those who were given straight through contracts last year do not show up on the GME2 select list the following year (probably doesn't apply to ped's though).

Unfortunately the Navy does not always allow the full # of selections. It is all based on a few numbers including end strength of that particular specialty, the number of GMO's needed, etc, etc.

It is my understanding that this year there was an emphasis on ensuring the GMO (esp FS class) was full due to a big drop last year and an expected huge shortage (40+) of flight surgeons to fill billets this year.

I also am wondering if those who were given straight through contracts last year do not show up on the GME2 select list the following year (probably doesn't apply to ped's though).

I understand the need to fill the GMO slots, but don't you need to have an adequate number of upper level residents? From this list, it looks like there's 4 PGY2 peds residents at each location, but none slotted for NNMC (which can't be correct).

I understand the need to fill the GMO slots, but don't you need to have an adequate number of upper level residents? From this list, it looks like there's 4 PGY2 peds residents at each location, but none slotted for NNMC (which can't be correct).

My guess is that they decided they could only support 8 PGY2 residents and they sent them all to the programs that don't get Army residents. I bet the Army fully filled NCC with their folks. It may have been the only way to keep all the programs afloat in the current environment (plus, the army lets their people train and then claims they don't have the bodies so the Navy will fill the Army IA/GMO slots).

Peds remains 1000% more competitive in the Navy than the civilian world.

It's a balancing act! Don't forget, however, the big Navy comes before GME!

(plus, the army lets their people train and then claims they don't have the bodies so the Navy will fill the Army IA/GMO slots).

You're exactly right! I've seen this over and over again (Me very soon in fact).

Last edited:

Yep - Navy anesthesia was 18/class a few years ago. Six each at NNMC, Portsmouth, and SD. They took 14 this year. Supposedly this is temporary and once the GMO shortage is past, class sizes will go back up.

Anesthesia is up to 3 inservice pain fellows (from 1 ... with 2 at NMCSD? that program is a whole year old!) so I wonder if some of the funding was just shifted from resident --> fellow. Also, no cardiac fellowship selects this year, and from what I hear none planned for the next few. I'm starting to feel out places to do such a fellowship, but the Navy may force me to get out to do one. As much as I gripe about the Navy (which is way less than most around here ;)) we haven't really decided what to do when my obligation is up. Fellowship opportunities, well lack thereof I guess, may make that decision easy. I have to admit I'm a little disappointed.

Maybe I need to deploy again to someplace with Marines to remember WTF I joined the Navy for in the first place. My particular joint has been piling straws onto the camel's back over the last week ...

So, if they tried to fill numerous GMO billets this year (and aren't they usually 2-yr deals?), will the same hit be taken next year in programs?

So, if they tried to fill numerous GMO billets this year (and aren't they usually 2-yr deals?), will the same hit be taken next year in programs?

Don't know, but I'd guess probably not. Or at least to a lesser degree The recruiting shortfall 4-5 years ago that led to the recent small graduating classes is over.

The HPSP pipeline has been full for a while now - they attribute this to Iraq winding down and a poor economy. I think the economy angle is kind of an odd take on things; most people with med school acceptances in hand don't have worries about the economy. But whatever the cause, recruiters have met their goals.