MD deleted

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PLA2

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If you are on your parent's insurance, they can see all visits and charges. Getting your own via school will be wise.

Hi, I'm a US MD student and I have health insurance through my dad's private practice. If I went to a PCP and got prescribed a stimulant, would they be able to see that I went to a PCP, used the insurance, and went to walgreens to get the prescription filled? He's in a large group practice and he mentioned previously that one of his employees used over a million dollars in health insurance on year.

Thanks!

Your dad can see that you went to a Pcp and that you went to a pharmacy. I doubt he'll get any details more than that.

My wife was under my insurance and they refused to give me details without her consent when I called to fight some of the charges. I've never seen an insurance bill list more than the name of the provider or facility...

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If you made it all the way to med school without stimulants, you don't have ADD.

Reactions: 5 users
Hi, I'm a US MD student and I have health insurance through my dad's private practice. If I went to a PCP and got prescribed a stimulant, would they be able to see that I went to a PCP, used the insurance, and went to walgreens to get the prescription filled? He's in a large group practice and he mentioned previously that one of his employees used over a million dollars in health insurance on year.

Thanks!
I sense some sort of cover-up here. Gonococcal urethritis?

If you made it all the way to med school without stimulants, you don't have ADD.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe that this forum is an appropriate place to dispense medical advice.

Reactions: 4 users

Thanks!
Maybe.

The primary insurance holder will often get an "explanation of benefits" mailed to them, sometimes with a full itemized receipt. The thing is, it's sent to whatever address is on file with the doctor, so if you live apart from them just give the doctors office only your own address. The pharmacy shouldn't send anything at all.

If you live together and your parents have a habit of opening your mail, that's a much harder conundrum.

Thanks!

Yes!

As others have stated, if the stimulant is branded and not on formulary, it will be rejected by the PBM and a letter will be sent to the policy holder explaining why and offer options

Better to have the doctor to prescribe generic than branded which wont get kicked out. Obviously check online the formulay list to avert the problem altogether

Additionally your dad might want some too so maybe he will split the bill with you? Just saying