Deleted

Status
Not open for further replies.

ykdqgey

2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
College prestige matters very little. It's better to go low-debt at a college where you'll be able to balance school with ECs and life without stressing about weed-out classes.

I would go SLU or state school, personally.

Reactions: 4 users
I agree with @athorcommens and would recommend going as low-debt as possible for undergrad. What will be more important is your ECs, eventual MCAT, and ability to balance life and academics. I attended my state school for undergrad and will be matriculating to a T10 med school in July. I'm not special, and many other have done the same. Medical school is expensive enough without having to worry about huge undergrad debt on top of things.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
cheap cheap cheap. Go where you can have the lowest possible loans. I went to my local state school over a prestigious school and I was not at all hindered in getting opportunities and ultimately interviews. Also want to go where you are happiest, which here happens to sound like the cheap option as well (SLU where you said you would be comfiest).

Edit: also went from state school to a T20

Reactions: 2 users
Getting into med school is 99% about how hard you are willing to work. Go with the low cost option and keep other costs low too.

As a Umich grad...the out of state tuition is not worth it. Great school, but I wouldnt' have gone if I wasn't a local.

you didn't give pros and cons for state school.

Go to the school with the least amount of weed out classes. I had two options for state schools and choose the better state school (top 5 public school known for rigorous engineering curriculum). I had less time for a social life and ECs due to the hard physics and chem courses. I got into similar med schools as people from the easier state school (party school).

Reactions: 1 user
Go with the cheaper school. I went to my flagship state school and have zero regrets. I would be in wayyyyy more debt had I gone somewhere else more expensive.

Reactions: 1 user
I'll never understand how anyone pays six-figures for a bachelor's degree if they can help it. You'll never be able to get a job with a bachelor's that would let you pay that off in a reasonable time with interest. And you should be considering what job prospects you have with that degree in case medical school falls out. Where you do undergrad matters in the absolute least. Keep your debt load down, you don't want to find yourself coming out of med school in the future with 600-700K in debt because you chose to spend almost 200K on a bachelor's degree.

Reactions: 4 users
Status
Not open for further replies.