Deleted

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It would likely be a bit painful...and require a significant paycut...but you could look into applying for a pulm only job at an academic center or one of those ICU hospitalist jobs that have been popping up at places like UPenn/Cleveland Clinic where you could have 1-2 years to focus on doing a lot of research and have a good chance of matching after that. I met people on the interview trail who were site co-PI's for various national studies and had spent 2 years building a significant research resume. Basically, the main PI will be looking for you to do all the scut work and ensure recruitment is strong. You'll have to write various faculty's invited reviews/book chapters/drafts of guidelines etc in addition to the clinical studies. And still be expected to have a full time clinical position. But if you're absolutely set on it, it would be a reasonable way to go.

I don't know how it will work now that CCM is in the match, but alternatively you could interview at 2 year fellowships and just accept that you'll be doing an extra year. I don't know if that would help or not but I suspect when CCM match data is eventually published it's going to show it to be one of the more competitive specialties.

I would guess anything that could get you influential supporters in the PCCM department would be helpful; that said, I know there are a lot of pulm docs who do sleep and don't do CCM anymore, so you may want to take that into consideration.

Status
Not open for further replies.