[deleted]

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1071658

[deleted]

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Love
Reactions: 1 user
Hello everyone! I am a current 2nd year med student, and I wanted to share my story on my med school journey and why I believe it's best for me to quit. Ultimately, the decision is mine, but I just wanted to see if I can get some other recommendations. So here goes...

If I had to do medical school over again, I definitely wouldn't. But then you might be wondering, why are you even there right now? During undergrad, I was confused on what I should pursue. My grades in the beginning weren't that great, but I started improving. When I was sure I was improving, I switched my major to biology because I wanted to maximize my chances of getting an even better GPA. My grades were so good in fact, that I would consistently be in the top 10 percent. This fueled my desire to become a physician, the fact that I was better than everyone else, which is a completely wrong way of thinking. I also thought that once I got into med school, things would be difficult, but at least I would have a clear path towards becoming a physician. In order to ensure that I would succeed, I decided to get myself diagnosed right before med school (they found I had ADHD). I got extra time for my exams and was prescribed adderall.

About a month into med school, I realized this truly wasn't for me (even with the accommodations and adderall), due to both my ADHD as well as my upperclassmen friends who were stressed to the limit, wishing they pursued something else. I thought about quitting every single hour I kid you not. I spoke with friends, family, therapists (multiple), and other docs. They recommended that I continue. Besides, I couldn't really do anything else with my bio degree. And back then, I thought I could push through, although I would suffer. And plus, even though I struggled, I did end up passing my first year, which I was proud of!

This past summer, I developed a plan to study for boards and my medical school content. However, this year, my depression and ADHD symptoms heightened to a new extreme, in a way I was not expecting at all. I found it hard to sit down and study, even things as simple as talking with others were now difficult. I shut myself out from my friends and was miserable. I couldn't hide my emotions in front of others and people around me started asking me if I was okay. But I was fine with this, as long as I passed my courses.

But here's what I'm not "fine" with: During my first year, I was able to hide my continuous forgetfulness and lack of ability to interact with others to some extent. But now, as we have more and more clinical exams, my symptoms began to show more. For example, my school has clinical exams on standardized patients. During my exam, my ADHD symptoms really showed. I wasn't able to recall certain details about the patient's history shortly after they were mentioned to me, I froze when counseling the patient, I was unable to form words, and my diagnosis was incorrect. My evaluator was kind and gave me specific recommendations on what to do. She had me repeat my exam again. I improved, but literally forgot about one of the recommendations she gave me! It was as if I could not be helped no matter what. I explained that I got scared and forgot. She nodded but looked at me like I was crazy. Additionally, I feel that I have ruined my reputation with her and other staff members as well, although I tried my hardest not to. ) :

Since I started med school, I knew it wasn't for me, but I thought that if I worked hard enough I would get through. But after that clinical exam, I realized that I legit cannot do it no matter what. My severe ADHD will cause me to make mistakes, forget drug interactions, forget labs, not know what to do or do it fast enough, and worse of all, put my future patient's lives in danger. In addition, my patients and staff members will see my ADHD symptoms as I cannot hide these no matter how hard I try. Not to mention, residency gets harder from what I hear.

And as you might be able to tell, I don't like to quit no matter what. Only when I absolutely need to I will, which now I think it's pretty clear that I should.

I should've shadowed more doctors and looked at other careers. I should've chosen an easy career path. I shouldn't have even started med school. I should've quit after my 1st semester, after my 2nd semester. And then next year and in residency I will wish I had quit earlier.

I could try other treatments for depression and ADHD, but I have realized that my primary issue is me not able to cognitively process info properly. My adderall did not help and I believe no amount of medication will help with this either.

So this is what I've decided. I am going to take an LOA with the option to return for my 2nd year with the class below me. During this time, I will try for a lab tech position or something else and work to pay my parents off who have this whole time, generously paid my tuition. I will most likely not return for my 2nd year. I wish it wouldn't come to this, but it feels like it's the right thing to do.

If you've gotten this far, thank you so much for listening to my story. I realize that I know myself the best, and at the end of the day, I will have to make the decision myself. But if any of you have recommendations on what I should do, I'm all ears. ( : Any opinions would be much appreciated.
Sounds like ya answered your own question.
I don't remember the word "seriously" in your original thread title, but perhaps that's mea culpa.

Look, I had many struggles through medical school. I will make the story short for you. I hated medical school. I loved every single day of residency and fellowship. I look forward every day to be a doctor because it's wonderful. There are enough people that are loud saying they are miserable because happy people don't go around saying it.

I get this sense that you are hiding behind your diagnosis and mental illness. It is normal to be nervous. It is normal to forget things. It is normal to do terrible at things when you are starting to learn them. The key is to keep being resilient, which you can be. You have made it this far. If you give up now, you let your insecurities win. Taking an LOA is just an excuse to dropping out similar to when you don't want to breakup with someone and instead you decide to "take a break."

Deep down inside you know you're making excuses. It's up to you to either face these fears and become better or give up. It's as simple as that

Reactions: 14 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone! I am a current 2nd year med student, and I wanted to share my story on my med school journey and why I believe it's best for me to quit. Ultimately, the decision is mine, but I just wanted to see if I can get some other recommendations. So here goes...

If I had to do medical school over again, I definitely wouldn't. But then you might be wondering, why are you even there right now? During undergrad, I was confused on what I should pursue. My grades in the beginning weren't that great, but I started improving. When I was sure I was improving, I switched my major to biology because I wanted to maximize my chances of getting an even better GPA. My grades were so good in fact, that I would consistently be in the top 10 percent. This fueled my desire to become a physician, the fact that I was better than everyone else, which is a completely wrong way of thinking. I also thought that once I got into med school, things would be difficult, but at least I would have a clear path towards becoming a physician. In order to ensure that I would succeed, I decided to get myself diagnosed right before med school (they found I had ADHD). I got extra time for my exams and was prescribed adderall.

About a month into med school, I realized this truly wasn't for me (even with the accommodations and adderall), due to both my ADHD as well as my upperclassmen friends who were stressed to the limit, wishing they pursued something else. I thought about quitting every single hour I kid you not. I spoke with friends, family, therapists (multiple), and other docs. They recommended that I continue. Besides, I couldn't really do anything else with my bio degree. And back then, I thought I could push through, although I would suffer. And plus, even though I struggled, I did end up passing my first year, which I was proud of!

This past summer, I developed a plan to study for boards and my medical school content. However, this year, my depression and ADHD symptoms heightened to a new extreme, in a way I was not expecting at all. I found it hard to sit down and study, even things as simple as talking with others were now difficult. I shut myself out from my friends and was miserable. I couldn't hide my emotions in front of others and people around me started asking me if I was okay. But I was fine with this, as long as I passed my courses.

But here's what I'm not "fine" with: During my first year, I was able to hide my continuous forgetfulness and lack of ability to interact with others to some extent. But now, as we have more and more clinical exams, my symptoms began to show more. For example, my school has clinical exams on standardized patients. During my exam, my ADHD symptoms really showed. I wasn't able to recall certain details about the patient's history shortly after they were mentioned to me, I froze when counseling the patient, I was unable to form words, and my diagnosis was incorrect. My evaluator was kind and gave me specific recommendations on what to do. She had me repeat my exam again. I improved, but literally forgot about one of the recommendations she gave me! It was as if I could not be helped no matter what. I explained that I got scared and forgot. She nodded but looked at me like I was crazy. Additionally, I feel that I have ruined my reputation with her and other staff members as well, although I tried my hardest not to. ) :

Since I started med school, I knew it wasn't for me, but I thought that if I worked hard enough I would get through. But after that clinical exam, I realized that I legit cannot do it no matter what. My severe ADHD will cause me to make mistakes, forget drug interactions, forget labs, not know what to do or do it fast enough, and worse of all, put my future patient's lives in danger. In addition, my patients and staff members will see my ADHD symptoms as I cannot hide these no matter how hard I try. Not to mention, residency gets harder from what I hear.

And as you might be able to tell, I don't like to quit no matter what. Only when I absolutely need to I will, which now I think it's pretty clear that I should.

I should've shadowed more doctors and looked at other careers. I should've chosen an easy career path. I shouldn't have even started med school. I should've quit after my 1st semester, after my 2nd semester. And then next year and in residency I will wish I had quit earlier.

I could try other treatments for depression and ADHD, but I have realized that my primary issue is me not able to cognitively process info properly. My adderall did not help and I believe no amount of medication will help with this either.

So this is what I've decided. I am going to take an LOA with the option to return for my 2nd year with the class below me. During this time, I will try for a lab tech position or something else and work to pay my parents off who have this whole time, generously paid my tuition. I will most likely not return for my 2nd year. I wish it wouldn't come to this, but it feels like it's the right thing to do.

If you've gotten this far, thank you so much for listening to my story. I realize that I know myself the best, and at the end of the day, I will have to make the decision myself. But if any of you have recommendations on what I should do, I'm all ears. ( : Any opinions would be much appreciated.
Yeah, it's time to do something else. Good luck

Reactions: 3 users
ADHD is very treatable and response to stimulants is quite high, although im not fond of adderall and typically prescribe it as a third line (the XR formulation).

Desire is the part that is not treatable. I went through half of medical school trying not to treat ADHD- I would be in the library 12-15 hours a a day, every day, including holidays. This was because my studying wasn't done efficiently requiring me spend much more time than the average person to get the same result. However, I had a strong desire to finish and thats what kept me going and forced me to put in that sacrifice.

My point is, even if you adequately treat ADHD, without desire, you wont go far in this direction. I think you are deep down, questioning your desire for this.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
ADHD is very treatable and response to stimulants is quite high, although im not fond of adderall and typically prescribe it as a third line (the XR formulation).

Desire is the part that is not treatable. I went through half of medical school trying not to treat ADHD- I would be in the library 12-15 hours a a day, every day, including holidays. This was because my studying wasn't done efficiently requiring me spend much more time than the average person to get the same result. However, I had a strong desire to finish and thats what kept me going and forced me to put in that sacrifice.

My point is, even if you adequately treat ADHD, without desire, you wont go far in this direction. I think you are deep down, questioning your desire for this.
Yea, that's part of it.

I know this is a question for my school, but are students able to transfer their med school credits towards a master's? Has this been done before?

I know this is a question for my school, but are students able to transfer their med school credits towards a master's? Has this been done before?
I have seen a Masters given for two successful years in medical school (in situations like this).

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
I feel for you, there were so many times during the first two years of medical school where I wanted to leave and pursue something else. I felt like I had made a mistake the first week of class. I too struggle with concentrating and will often forget something I just heard.

The great thing about the length of training that goes along with being a doctor is that you’ll hear about the same concept a million times and it will eventually stick in your head. The same thing goes with your clinical skills. You‘ll suck for awhile, but ultimately it will become second nature.

Most people dislike the first two years of medical school, but enjoy their clinical years and beyond. I am having a great time on my clinical rotations, even when I look like a dummy in front of the attendings, and I’m glad I stayed.

Whichever route you go I hope you find happiness.

Only you can know what you should do. I wanted to quit medical school every single day in 1st and 2nd year. I still want to quit most days now that I'm in 3rd year and doing rotations, BUT I just get such a great feeling when I work with patients. I know I'm going to love this career even if getting there sucks. and I have enough life under my belt to know that I'd rather be miserable working toward something I love than just doing any old job. Medical school sucks. But this week I assisted in a life-saving surgery: that was amazing.

In your shoes I think I would talk to some faculty at your school and get some guidance. Can you go to the clinical course director? Or talk to the clinical professor from your last exam? One thing I did to help me on clinical exams was to write a script for the exam based on the rubric. Then I would record myself reading that script. Then I would listen to that script over and over. I would try to do this as soon as the rubrics were released so that I just knew what the exam sounded like. It had a rhythm and it had timing. I would try to picture it in my head as I listened in the car, or getting ready for bed, or making dinner.

The ideal situation if you decide to quit would be to get some kind of credit towards a degree for what you've done. Just getting this far in medical school is an accomplishment it would be a shame to waste.

• Love
OP, it’s totally possible to do well as a physician with ADHD, especially well-treated ADHD. You just have to learn to manage it and work with it, and a combination of a good treatment team, mentorship, and experience can help with that. I’d suggest trying to find physicians with ADHD who can help mentor you, as well as psychiatrists and therapists with experience working with healthcare professionals/physicians as patients.

• Hmm
Reactions: 4 users
If I had to do medical school over again, I definitely wouldn't.

Welcome to the club. Once is enough. No doctor wants to do med school twice. It's quite normal for most people to think about quitting med school, as well as residency, because it's an arduous process. It's also quite normal for people to think about quitting medicine because it's an arduous job at times.

During my first year, I was able to hide my continuous forgetfulness and lack of ability to interact with others to some extent. But now, as we have more and more clinical exams, my symptoms began to show more. For example, my school has clinical exams on standardized patients. During my exam, my ADHD symptoms really showed. I wasn't able to recall certain details about the patient's history shortly after they were mentioned to me, I froze when counseling the patient, I was unable to form words, and my diagnosis was incorrect.

Arguably, these aren't ADHD symptoms and you may be overvaluing ADHD as the cause of whatever ails you. At the very least, there is something more, and that's up to you and your professional to explore rather than contributing to the Adderall shortage. You may be right that no amount of stimulant medication will help, if this really isn't an ADHD issue.

Members don't see this ad :)

Why aren't you fond of using Adderall XR as a first line med for *actual* ADHD? It's highly efficacious and cheap for *actual* ADHD. Perhaps you mean you aren't fond of prescribing Adderall to patients claiming to have ADHD who don't have ADHD?

Reactions: 1 users
Why aren't you fond of using Adderall XR as a first line med for *actual* ADHD? It's highly efficacious and cheap for *actual* ADHD. Perhaps you mean you aren't fond of prescribing Adderall to patients claiming to have ADHD who don't have ADHD?

im not fond of adderall IR, XR is fine but i tend to prefer vyvanse and concerta; adderall XR is not a bad alternative if there is a poor response to concerta and cant afford vyvanse. Some people still abuse the XR since its 50-50 formulation though I havent had an issue so much with people abusing ADHD medications, a lot of those people are fairly easy to spot during the interview. Also amphetamines have more cardio effect and I have older patients at my location, and heart disease is common here.

Fellow ADHD medical student. However I also have 5+ years of experience as a PA. Speaking to psychiatry mentors what I’ve learned about ADHD is it is more of serious psychiatric co-morbidity than we think. Its not just “I have to study harder to do well on test”. It is truly neurotransmitter deficiency much like depression or GAD. Except instead of a lack of seratonin, it is a lack of dopamine. It actually shares a lot of commonalities with bipolar disorder. So first thing first is you have to manage it. Which typically means getting on appropriate medications for many individuals, especially when in the rigors of medical school. I had a psychiatrist tell me you dont get an award when you dye for taking the least amount of stimulates. And the reason it isn’t abused is because it isnt covering up the underlying problem typically like benzos and opioids, it is actually solving the problem of decreased dopamine, just like SSRI cause the problem of decreased seratonin. Yes it has side effects, but so do SSRIs, but we give those out like they are candy. So never let anyone tell you are using medications like a crutch if they aren’t saying the same thing to their patients who take SSRIs. Also it is the only controlled substance where you are less likely to abuse other drugs if you use it and have ADHD. The rate of poly substance abuse in those with uncontrolled ADHD is upwards of 50%,significantly higher than those with ADHD on stimulates. Conversely the efficacy of stimulates in ADHD is upwards of 90%. Few if any other drugs are that efficacious with less adverse affects. However because society has labeled it a controlled substance, we label ADHD patients who benefit from its use just like MDD patients benefit from SSRIs. So again the data tells us stimulates are key, because they are treating the dopamine deficiency, not just covering up symptoms.

Second what I’ve learned about ADHD is kind of what I call the Ricky Bobby rule. You are either first or last. Meaning you are probably going to be really good or really bad at something. And you have probably experienced this. If you are passionate about something it clicks instantly and you can spend hours focused on a task. Conversely if you think something is stupid or you dont think its important it never clicks for you. Unfortuately the nature of medical school is you have to do a whole bunch of stupid ****, basically hazing, to earn the right to become a physician. Which is hard for everyone but even worse for those with ADHD, so I am not surprised you struggle, especially if you are not passionate about a particular topic. While everyone experiences this to a certain degree it usually derail their life like it can for someone with ADHD. I believe it is crucial that ADHD people find what drives them more than anyone else. You cannot be the average person that gets by. You are likely either going to excel or fail at a rate greater than the non-ADHD individual. However if you can find that thing you are passionate about, you can change the world.

So if there is something in medicine you are truly passionate about get on the right meds so you can survive medical school, try to find purpose even in the stupid ****, and you will make a great physician if you find that thing that your are really passionate about. If there’s nothing you are passionate about in medicine you owe it to yourself to quit if there’s something outside of medicine you are more passionate about pursuing. But I have a feeling if you got yourself into medical school (because even if you are only recently dx you have probably been dealing with your symptoms for decades) there is one thing you are passionate about. Or else you would not of made it to medical school. So I would encourage you to chase it and dont let the stuff you are bad at get you down, especially if you are not connected with a psychiatrist working with you to adequately treat your ADHD.

I leave you with one final story. i learned a few days ago the story of William Coley. He was a physician in the 1800s who figured out basically how to cure metastatic sarcoma in the late 1800s almost 50 years before we even had penicillin after hearing of someone who had recovered from stage 4 cancer and 7 years was still in remission after having a severe strep infection. He figured out the immune response that fought the infection could also fight the infection. Thus if he gave patients certain bacterial antigens, he could cure cancer, effectively creating the first rudimentary immunologic, that was actually quite successful considering the times. . Literally 50 years before we could even treat strep throat he figured out a curative therapy for stage 4 cancers that would not be rivaled for 100+ years while his colleagues were murdering people with arsenic. However he was chastized and made fun of as a physician despite publishing 150+ papers because he wasn’t the most organized and was so far ahead of his times. When he died in the 1930s he was a medical outcast. But his daughter went on to create the Cancer Research Institute which has been fundamental to saving millions of lives because of the work of her father. Now he is considered the father of immunology. And his theory is now responsible for the boom in immunologics we see today. I dont know if Dr. Coley had ADHD or not, but I would be willing to wager he did. Life isn’t always easy with ADHD. Society sees your weakness as greater than your strengths. But if you are committed and passionate about something, your strengths will long outlive your flaws. Stay motivated, most importantly chase your passion and you too will be remembered even if life seems hard at times.

Last edited:
I’ll reiterate what NewtonPAC mentioned, you tend to either excel or fail, there’s not much of a middle ground. Many of the most successful people in the world often had ADHD outright or met all the DSMV criteria for ADHD.

For example, Michael Phelps, one of the most decorated American Olympic athletes as well as Simon Biles in gymnastics. One of the richest men in the world Bill Gates, American President John F Kennedy, and famous artist and genius inventor Leonardo Da Vinci all reportedly would have met the symptoms for ADHD.

Don’t look for recognition from the average person for they won’t necessarily understand why you do things a little different. School teaches you to be like others, but only truly unique people are remembered for their contributions to society at large. It’s a path that’s not for the faint of heart though.

I don’t know if you are going to continue pushing through, but if you continue forward and still do not like medicine down the road there are alternative careers you can go into with an MD or DO degree such as consulting. Maybe if you do continue you can start looking into non clinical careers. Many of these careers do not require residency.

Fellow ADHD medical student. However I also have 5+ years of experience as a PA. Speaking to psychiatry mentors what I’ve learned about ADHD is it is more of serious psychiatric co-morbidity than we think. Its not just “I have to study harder to do well on test”. It is truly neurotransmitter deficiency much like depression or GAD. Except instead of a lack of seratonin, it is a lack of dopamine. It actually shares a lot of commonalities with bipolar disorder. So first thing first is you have to manage it. Which typically means getting on appropriate medications for many individuals, especially when in the rigors of medical school. I had a psychiatrist tell me you dont get an award when you dye for taking the least amount of stimulates. And the reason it isn’t abused is because it isnt covering up the underlying problem typically like benzos and opioids, it is actually solving the problem of decreased dopamine, just like SSRI cause the problem of decreased seratonin. Yes it has side effects, but so do SSRIs, but we give those out like they are candy. So never let anyone tell you are using medications like a crutch if they aren’t saying the same thing to their patients who take SSRIs. Also it is the only controlled substance where you are less likely to abuse other drugs if you use it and have ADHD. The rate of poly substance abuse in those with uncontrolled ADHD is upwards of 50%,significantly higher than those with ADHD on stimulates. Conversely the efficacy of stimulates in ADHD is upwards of 90%. Few if any other drugs are that efficacious with less adverse affects. However because society has labeled it a controlled substance, we label ADHD patients who benefit from its use just like MDD patients benefit from SSRIs. So again the data tells us stimulates are key, because they are treating the dopamine deficiency, not just covering up symptoms.

Second what I’ve learned about ADHD is kind of what I call the Ricky Bobby rule. You are either first or last. Meaning you are probably going to be really good or really bad at something. And you have probably experienced this. If you are passionate about something it clicks instantly and you can spend hours focused on a task. Conversely if you think something is stupid or you dont think its important it never clicks for you. Unfortuately the nature of medical school is you have to do a whole bunch of stupid ****, basically hazing, to earn the right to become a physician. Which is hard for everyone but even worse for those with ADHD, so I am not surprised you struggle, especially if you are not passionate about a particular topic. While everyone experiences this to a certain degree it usually derail their life like it can for someone with ADHD. I believe it is crucial that ADHD people find what drives them more than anyone else. You cannot be the average person that gets by. You are likely either going to excel or fail at a rate greater than the non-ADHD individual. However if you can find that thing you are passionate about, you can change the world.

So if there is something in medicine you are truly passionate about get on the right meds so you can survive medical school, try to find purpose even in the stupid ****, and you will make a great physician if you find that thing that your are really passionate about. If there’s nothing you are passionate about in medicine you owe it to yourself to quit if there’s something outside of medicine you are more passionate about pursuing. But I have a feeling if you got yourself into medical school (because even if you are only recently dx you have probably been dealing with your symptoms for decades) there is one thing you are passionate about. Or else you would not of made it to medical school. So I would encourage you to chase it and dont let the stuff you are bad at get you down, especially if you are not connected with a psychiatrist working with you to adequately treat your ADHD.

I leave you with one final story. i learned a few days ago the story of William Coley. He was a physician in the 1800s who figured out basically how to cure metastatic sarcoma in the late 1800s almost 50 years before we even had penicillin after hearing of someone who had recovered from stage 4 cancer and 7 years was still in remission after having a severe strep infection. He figured out the immune response that fought the infection could also fight the infection. Thus if he gave patients certain bacterial antigens, he could cure cancer, effectively creating the first rudimentary immunologic, that was actually quite successful considering the times. . Literally 50 years before we could even treat strep throat he figured out a curative therapy for stage 4 cancers that would not be rivaled for 100+ years while his colleagues were murdering people with arsenic. However he was chastized and made fun of as a physician despite publishing 150+ papers because he wasn’t the most organized and was so far ahead of his times. When he died in the 1930s he was a medical outcast. But his daughter went on to create the Cancer Research Institute which has been fundamental to saving millions of lives because of the work of her father. Now he is considered the father of immunology. And his theory is now responsible for the boom in immunologics we see today. I dont know if Dr. Coley had ADHD or not, but I would be willing to wager he did. Life isn’t always easy with ADHD. Society sees your weakness as greater than your strengths. But if you are committed and passionate about something, your strengths will long outlive your flaws. Stay motivated, most importantly chase your passion and you too will be remembered even if life seems hard at times.
First of all, I'd like to thank all of you for responding, especially NewtonPAC. It seriously is a sense of relief when I read your comments and feels as though I'm not stuck even though most of these days I feel as though I am.

NewtonPAC, you truly have a better sense of psychiatry than the average person and that's partly due to the fact that you have ADHD yourself. I agree that ADHD has similarities to bipolar disorder and the fact that ADHDers either completely fail at something or excel further than everyone else. There are several examples in my life in which this has been proven true. And your story about Dr. Coley was really inspiring.

Since I posted back in October, I have spoken to some physician mentors outside of my school and they recommended that at this juncture, it is better to continue mainly because graduating medical school will open other doors for me like consulting. I'm also trying a different anti-depressant which will take a month to know if it is helping or not. And so far, I'm not sure if it is. I'm trying my best to get thru this semester and decide on the LOA during winter break based on whether or not I passed. And by then, I'll know for sure if my anti-depressant will work.

I have tried adderall before and at different doses as well. While it has made me feel more motivated, unfortunately it has affected my sleep. Also, it was hard for me to manage the wearing off effect which manifested as depression for me.

With regards to passion for medicine, I do have a little bit maybe in psychiatry because I've experienced this myself. And it is absolutely true especially for me that if I'm passionate about something it will be easier for me to pursue. But my main concern is my constant thoughts that keep recurring in my mind every day: "will I be able to survive med school with my mental health the way it is? I have given up so much money. Maybe it's more logical for me to quit now rather than worsening my mental health, wishing I had quit earlier and losing more money down the line" And these thoughts have worsened since my 1st year. And by the way, I'm working with a psychologist to combat this and maybe the anti-depressant will help with this, I'm not sure.

I know that most medical schools and mine as well will do everything they can to ensure that I graduate, so in the meantime, I wanted to reach out to some of my faculty members who have seen my performance to share what I'm going thru and gain additional advice and support. How open should I be when discussing my mental health with them? Is it better for me to be completely transparent with them or only share certain details? Will this hurt me in the long run? I don't want them to see me negatively, but at the same time, not share enough details.

• Care
I don’t know if you are going to continue pushing through, but if you continue forward and still do not like medicine down the road there are alternative careers you can go into with an MD or DO degree such as consulting. Maybe if you do continue you can start looking into non clinical careers. Many of these careers do not require residency.
Thank you for your response. I'm not sure if you have many details about consulting, but I did have a few questions that came to mind.

I have heard from some folks that you need to at least complete intern year (1st year) of residency before you can get these jobs. Is this true?
Do I have to be licensed?
Are there jobs available for physicians in which they can work from home, telemed comes to mind, but what other options are there?
And lastly, are these jobs readily available?

If you or anyone else knows more about nonclinical jobs and can point me in the right direction, please let me know. I have found some stuff online, but I wanted to speak to an actual physician who works in these fields.

Thank you for your response. I'm not sure if you have many details about consulting, but I did have a few questions that came to mind.

I have heard from some folks that you need to at least complete intern year (1st year) of residency before you can get these jobs. Is this true?
Do I have to be licensed?
Are there jobs available for physicians in which they can work from home, telemed comes to mind, but what other options are there?
And lastly, are these jobs readily available?
my understanding is that there isnt a reason to do residency for all positions. theres a guy on the reddit who did that and answers questions people have.

I would also look into occupational/preventive medicine if you're exploring non-patient facing avenues. Two year residency and you also work towards a MPH in the process.

I would also look into occupational/preventive medicine if you're exploring non-patient facing avenues. Two year residency and you also work towards a MPH in the process.
But not really a total of 2 years because you have to complete an intern year

But not really a total of 2 years because you have to complete an intern year
True, it'll be hard to escape the suckage of intern year regardless of your path, but the two years after are regular business hours.

But after that clinical exam, I realized that I legit cannot do it no matter what. My severe ADHD will cause me to make mistakes, forget drug interactions, forget labs, not know what to do or do it fast enough, and worse of all, put my future patient's lives in danger.
Welcome to being human. Good thing theres this thing called residency before you're allowed to care for patients w/o supervision.

Intern year would straighten you out for sure.

Just wanted to add my two cents. Seems like your medical school might not be the best at dealing with students who have learning disabilities. Mine isn’t either. So I got a private tutor to help me with reviewing material on my LOA, literally is the only reason I passed Step 1. If you can afford it look for outside help, it makes a world of difference.

• Care