Deleted

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HAB

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If you and/or your SO are used to the sun in CA, it will be a hard adjustment to Portland. I would put UCD at the top personally.

Reactions: 1 user
Pitt is a great option - top school, low/moderate COL. If you really want to practice in Oregon though, OHSU probably makes sense. As noted, Oregon is no picnic weather-wise. You gotta be ok with not seeing the sun for weeks/months at a time. Heck, Pittsburgh winter weather might be better! I couldn't handle the heat of Sacramento.

Congrats on the options!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
How is Sacramento boring? 2 hours to ocean, mountains, Napa/Sonoma and 2 hours to Bay Area with moderate COL. Lot of hiking and biking trails and water activities. It gets hot in summers but no humidity and delta breeze makes evenings pleasant. UCD is a good school.

Last edited:
Thanks all for the input.

I agree Davis is a solid program. I like that it’s the cheapest option and would be fine there, but I was looking for something substantial to convince my SO to consider it. I don’t think being 2 hours from x, y, or z is enough. We’re not CA natives and have dealt with weather. The sun really can be too much, and 5 months of summer is worse than 5 months of winter to us.

I want to want to go to Pitt, but I’m more excited about OHSU. I was looking for confirmation that’s it’s ok to turn that A down.
Have you visited Sacramento? Having lived in IL, MN and NY, I will take Sacramento weather to any of those places 😀 unless you are planning to work outdoors during peak summer afternoons, you shouldn’t worry too much. Sacramento gets around 13 100+ days but with low humidity

Last edited:
Yes, I’ve spent a handful of days in Sacramento. Only 13 days at 100+ but 5 months at 80+ including 2 with average highs in the 90s. And sure, 85 in Sacramento feels better than a muggy 85 in NY, but I like much of NY a lot more than Sacramento overall.

I guess if weather is the only thing that’s being discussed here then I can’t go wrong.
It’s personal choice. NYC is not for us, spent 4 years there.

I would recommend pitt over other choices for any speciality

I would recommend pitt over other choices for any speciality
Just for the rank? I want to match West Coast. Not interested in surgery or academic medicine. Pitt can get me anywhere but OHSU matches 20% to CA and 36% to Oregon.

If you really want to be in Oregon, you will be absolutely fine at OHSU. The only reason I would say absolutely go to Pitt is if you want to match in any really competitive field. Realize that quite a number of Pitt grads come from and match back in California and match extremely well wherever they want to go. But OHSU’s ranking is also very good and if that is your dream place to live, then you will do absolutely fine there.

Reactions: 2 users
Portland is beautiful. Sure its cloudy and little cold in the winter, but it beats living in the farming flat area of Davis.
I would choose OHSU.

If you really want to be in Oregon, you will be absolutely fine at OHSU. The only reason I would say absolutely go to Pitt is if you want to match in any really competitive field. Realize that quite a number of Pitt grads come from and match back in California and match extremely well wherever they want to go. But OHSU’s ranking is also very good and if that is your dream place to live, then you will do absolutely fine there.
Agreed! To answer your question I think that it is okay to turn down Pitt, especially since you mention that you aren’t interested in academia or a competitive specialty! So go to where you think you and your SO will be the most happy

Portland is beautiful. Sure its cloudy and little cold in the winter, but it beats living in the farming flat area of Davis.
I would choose OHSU.
BTW, Davis medical school is actually in Sacramento not in Davis ☺️

Choosing OHSU is fine over Pitt. Up to you if you want to spend the extra 50k instead of choosing UCD. Your SO can be a factor, but you saving money should be enough reason for them.

Seems like you just want people to tell you you're not crazy for choosing OHSU, and you're not. At the end of the day, it's 4 long years and you have to choose the place that'll make you happiest, and only you know that.

50k over four years vs UCD is nothing with an attending's salary. If you think it'll make you happier then in the long run it's better since if you're miserable you will end up worse in the long run.

Vs. Pitt, if you aren't worried about residency matching then it'll be fine. OHSU will give you a good shot in PNW. I will say that there are a few people who come in thinking they won't like a competitive specialty and then turns out they do, but by then it's too late and they settle.

Lastly, is OHSU really P/F during clinical? couldn't find any online data to support.

Status
Not open for further replies.