Deleted

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tomatopotato

Reaction score
deleted

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
What's your mission fit?
Community-centered, parents had limited english speaking skills and i recognize beyond languages there are other health disparities, mission fit would be bridging the gap/eliminating these disparities.

Members don't see this ad :)
Community-centered, parents had limited english speaking skills and i recognize beyond languages there are other health disparities, mission fit would be bridging the gap/eliminating these disparities.
You basically exclude research, but there's really nothing I can see where you know how you want to make an impact as a physician. No obvious tie to passions or actions you see physicians and the community take to make this impact. You describe your actions like a checklist.

You basically exclude research, but there's really nothing I can see where you know how you want to make an impact as a physician. No obvious tie to passions or actions you see physicians and the community take to make this impact. You describe your actions like a checklist.
I truly do not see what you mean, and i do say that genuinely. My interest in medicine stemmed from personal difficulties in accessing healthcare due to language barriers and the impact I want to hopefully make is to help make that access easier. As for my experiences seeming like a checklist, besides the stem cell volunteering, biostat research and scribing everything else has been of personal importance. I started off with interpreting at a primary care clinic (as i stated language barriers and i speak 6 languages), i shadowed the same physician and witnessed her efforts to bridge this gap through methods like doing telehealth, assisting in filing for insurance etc and then moved on to being an ESL tutor to assist in the same language barriers however through a different method. Here’s where i said that language barriers may be my personal interest however i have to recognize that they are not the only disparities and that’s why i explored other actions such as volunteering as an aide, doing social research which focused on racial disparities.
The debate/poetry etc has been a separate hobby, my major is eng literature too and i do a good amount of writing in my spare time. Beyond that i’m unsure if i’m doing a bad job conveying it or if i’m going the wrong way about this.

I truly do not see what you mean, and i do say that genuinely. My interest in medicine stemmed from personal difficulties in accessing healthcare due to language barriers and the impact I want to hopefully make is to help make that access easier. As for my experiences seeming like a checklist, besides the stem cell volunteering, biostat research and scribing everything else has been of personal importance. I started off with interpreting at a primary care clinic (as i stated language barriers and i speak 6 languages), i shadowed the same physician and witnessed her efforts to bridge this gap through methods like doing telehealth, assisting in filing for insurance etc and then moved on to being an ESL tutor to assist in the same language barriers however through a different method. Here’s where i said that language barriers may be my personal interest however i have to recognize that they are not the only disparities and that’s why i explored other actions such as volunteering as an aide, doing social research which focused on racial disparities.
The debate/poetry etc has been a separate hobby, my major is eng literature too and i do a good amount of writing in my spare time. Beyond that i’m unsure if i’m doing a bad job conveying it or if i’m going the wrong way about this.
Thanks for the additional details.

You don't list how many hours in each activity. The activities aren't written in a way that impresses me, so I don't think you are passionate about it, or else I would know more about why it was important. Just the facts, is how I'm reading it. Only you know how important or meaningful these experiences are. The details matter because they reflect their importance to you.

In what ways do you see doctors (as opposed to any other health profession) making the impact you want regarding access? Are you talking about emergency settings? Refugees needing basic care or specialty care? Hospice or QOL care at home? How do you think/want medical schools will prepare you for these experiences? Are you staying around NYC? Why not nursing where your impact can be broader (like in schools or more accessible clinics because the patients have limited insurance)? Do you want to work with the WHO or similar public/global health organizations where your language skills will be valued? Have you thought about internships with public health officers? HPSP?

What feedback have you gotten from your prehealth advisors?

I'm just saying we see a lot of people who want to go into medicine with similar motivation and background, but that doesn't mean you have a mission fit with schools. Also we need all professions to have people with similar motivation, so why focus on just the doctors?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the additional details.

You don't list how many hours in each activity. The activities aren't written in a way that impresses me, so I don't think you are passionate about it, or else I would know more about why it was important. Just the facts, is how I'm reading it. Only you know how important or meaningful these experiences are. The details matter because they reflect their importance to you.

In what ways do you see doctors (as opposed to any other health profession) making the impact you want regarding access? Are you talking about emergency settings? Refugees needing basic care or specialty care? Hospice or QOL care at home? How do you think/want medical schools will prepare you for these experiences? Are you staying around NYC? Why not nursing where your impact can be broader (like in schools or more accessible clinics because the patients have limited insurance)? Do you want to work with the WHO or similar public/global health organizations where your language skills will be valued? Have you thought about internships with public health officers? HPSP?

What feedback have you gotten from your prehealth advisors?

I'm just saying we see a lot of people who want to go into medicine with similar motivation and background, but that doesn't mean you have a mission fit with schools. Also we need all professions to have people with similar motivation, so why focus on just the doctors?
I appreciate the feedback. Admittedly i do not have an answer for many of these and that shows i need to reflect on why which thank you for pointing these things out.
I’m not talking about emergency settings, rather prevention of these emergent situations through basic care. Undocumented individuals, refugees, uninsured or for any reason are unable to establish care with a PCP and that inadvertently leads to more emergency cases for them and worse qol. That’s the demographic that i’m interested in, and i see what you’re saying now most of my experiences do not clearly represent that.
I have no preference of state. The PCP i interpreted for was very familiar with her patients and routinely adapted her treatment plan based on who she was serving, for example she would give less prescriptions to individuals who couldn’t afford a copay or shorter treatments for people in unstable conditions. She’d offer telehealth for individuals unable to come in, she insured that legal status would be safeguarded, and she had contracts with companies for lab work that allowed uninsured individuals to get it for free. Why not nursing is something i need to think about.
I have not thought about wanting to work with WHO or public health and i will look into that. As for HPSP i have an interest in that as well.

I suggest these schools with your stats:
All 4 SUNYs
Albany
New York Medical College
Hofstra
Hackensack
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Tufts
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
Georgetown
George Washington
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
Wake Forest
NOVA MD
Belmont
Tulane
TCU
Creighton
St. Louis
Rush
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State

Undocumented individuals, refugees, uninsured or for any reason are unable to establish care with a PCP and that inadvertently leads to more emergency cases for them and worse qol. That’s the demographic that i’m interested in, and i see what you’re saying now most of my experiences do not clearly represent that.
I also want you to look for the clinical opportunities where this constituency is served. Not all schools will have robust clinical opportunities that align with your wishes here. Most medical students really don't have interest with the specific needs of refugees or the undocumented so how willing are you to teach others, including faculty?

Make sure you do your homework and networking to narrow your school list down to a reasonable number.

I suggest these schools with your stats:
All 4 SUNYs
Albany
New York Medical College
Hofstra
Hackensack
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Tufts
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
Georgetown
George Washington
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
Wake Forest
NOVA MD
Belmont
Tulane
TCU
Creighton
St. Louis
Rush
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
What do you think about adding the following reaches:

Einstein
Rochester
Miami
Maryland
Colorado
Emory

As far as Emory, OOS MCAT/GPA medians are 516/3.79 respectively which I found similar to Virginia Commonwealth at 515/3.89. Do you think the reason Emory can't be recommended is because even though the stats are similarly selective, it's harder to be accepted to Emory because its higher ranked (or more well-known / prestigious) and therefore has a more competitive application pool and attracts stronger apps?

As far as Rochester, is it not recommendable because the IS interview rate is too low compared to Stony Brook and Hofstra (upper 20's) despite similar stats?

Last edited:

Einstein
Rochester
Miami
Maryland
Colorado
Emory

As far as Emory, OOS MCAT/GPA medians are 516/3.79 respectively which I found similar to Virginia Commonwealth at 515/3.89. Do you think the reason Emory can't be recommended is because even though the stats are similarly selective, it's harder to be accepted to Emory because its higher ranked (or more well-known / prestigious) and therefore has a more competitive application pool and attracts stronger apps?

As far as Rochester, is it not recommendable because the IS interview rate is too low compared to Stony Brook and Hofstra (upper 20's) despite similar stats?
I might network with the PHR club at Einstein to see how active they are. And check on similar clubs at other schools on the lists.

Einstein
Rochester
Miami
Maryland
Colorado
Emory

Emory is too competitive but the others are fine.