Deleted

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedicallyEnthused

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Deleted - do not quote

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Does your undergrad program do retroactive withdrawals?

Swallow your pride and include DO schools. I'm sure your SMP faculty have told you not to limit yourself.

You must nail your MCAT 515+. Some schools average your scores for screening; 515 gets your 3 score average to 503.7. Some schools avoid applicants with more than 3 scores without compelling mission fit.

Virtual shadowing doesn't count.

Why should we interview you?

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
No retroactive withdrawals without some kind of real documented reasons, which I have no excuse for. I just was an immature idiot.

Ill probably end up applying to some DOs, but I would like to go MD. I could probably got into DO without an SMP and focused more on just MCAT. So I don't want my SMP to be for nothing. I am also interested in competitive specialties currently and would like to avoid some of the hurdles that come with DO if possible.

I don't think 515+ is possible for me. I'm just not capable and have seen people successful with lower (with GPA issues like me). My SMP advisor told me the same thing, but this seems to be general advice for ~t50+ MD schools. I am fine with going to really low tier schools that have MCAT averages closer to 508-510. I would need an FL average above 520 to make 515 possible, given my real score will surely be lower than my practice scores. And I would probably avoid schools that average MCATs, but based on my research very few schools actually do this.

As for shadowing, I don't view it as incredibly important, as I have worked around and with physicians for close to a year in my scribe position (and frequent contact with ER docs when I was an EMT). Nonetheless I still have some in person shadowing and will a little more (all my E-shadowing was during covid btw). I think the point is to understand what the job entails, which I have for many years.

You probably wouldn't interview me solely based on my MCAT score or even with a decent retake. But at the very least, I believe my extracurriculars, LORs, and essays are all solid, not to mention the fact that I have 4 solid years of reinvention that shows some kind of resilience. Not sure what else to do at this point besides continue to study for the MCAT. The only thing I can think of is to apply to a 2nd SMP that have conditional acceptance agreements and hope my reinvention is good enough to get in.
Well you seem to have everything figured out.Do you plan to apply this upcoming cycle? Always remember , there will come a time you will have to decide if you want to be a doctor or do you only want to be a doctor in a competitive field. And every single grade and MCAT score are visible and seen by application readers.