Deleware Psychiatric Center

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prominence

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone familiar with this psychiatry residency program?

Members don't see this ad.

Did you get an interview there recently?

prominence said:
Anyone familiar with this psychiatry residency program?
not familiar, but i applied and heard nothing. i got enough interviews from other places that i was interested in, and as it turned out, i matched (somewhere, tbd thurs) but after seeing that they didn't even open my eras file, i kind of figured they don't have it together over there. i think after reading the info they have posted- looks bare bones- i'm happy they never called. it is curious that a program can be a program and not open applications, and not respond to applicants. anyone actually go there for a visit?

Members don't see this ad :)
did anyone in SDNland match at this program?

Anyone with input on this little known program?

The number of applicants on my day was large, don't remember how many, so don't ask.
There were 2 US-IMGs, me being one, all the others were from India.

Program leadership (on that day was american, but they had an ACTING PD and she was planning to leave).

All residents are IMGs, the majority from India, a single from Africa.

The two residents that showed us around were Indian and they conducted most of the tour in some language that I don't know.:mad:

Lunch was catered by a pharmaceutical rep that made a presentation.
As soon as she left, the residents paired off with one or two applicants and discussed in their language.

Myself and the other US-IMG, were left alone to talk to ourselves.:mad:

I wouldn't even rank this pile of dog-crap.:barf:

Delaware psych is without a doubt, one of the worst places where I interviewed. The other being, Brookdale IM where they also conducted the tour and part of morning conf in another language.

i interviewed there as well. it is a sorry excuse for a psychiatry program. go there only if you are an img with 0 invites, interested in community or forensic psych with barebones psychotherapy training and an old-school depressing asylum ambience. they have end of the line patients with no high functioning patient exposure. when i asked what their tilt was they say biosocial with little psycho. it has an inhouse jail with a courthouse. there r 3 residents per class and most of them talk in Indian most of the time and are 40 years or more. btw DPC does not use the match so it was a waste of time for me (i have 40 interviews and plan on going for the match. i would have rejected a prematch offer.) also st. vincents at staten island also does not use the match. i was gonna rank deleware psych 40 on my list and staten island between 35-39 if they did use the match. only plus point for deleware psych is that it is 40 minutes from philly.

to sum things up this is the worst program i have been to. i have visited 29 programs and worked at another one.

does anyone know the acting PD's name or email address?

thanks.

Wow prominence, what do folks have to say to dissuade you? That they routinely sacrifice applicants out back of the hospital?

some applicants don't have too many options. if i had no choice, i would go there as well. if they were in the match i would have ranked them 40 as i would rather go there than do FP or nothing.

go there only if you are an img with 0 invites
What about 3 invites? I will be interviewing there, and if offered a position, I would be faced with a dilemma. Do I give up my chances at the other 2 psych programs I got interviews at (WVU and U Conn) and grasp the opportunity...... OR, assuming the other 2 programs are far better, take my chances in the Match? I don't want to gamble though and get left with nothing at the end. It will be tempting and may even be wise to accept the prematch. This is all hypothetical for now, but just curious what people think.

What about 3 invites? I will be interviewing there, and if offered a position, I would be faced with a dilemma. Do I give up my chances at the other 2 psych programs I got interviews at (WVU and U Conn) and grasp the opportunity...... OR, assuming the other 2 programs are far better, take my chances in the Match? I don't want to gamble though and get left with nothing at the end. It will be tempting and may even be wise to accept the prematch. This is all hypothetical for now, but just curious what people think.

with 3 i would probably take a prematch. i would then try to transfer out. last year i interviewed at UConn and they did not rank me. this year they rejected me. I went to WVU and it is 100x better than deleware. but before i take a prematch i would call up both programs and tell them str8 up that i like them a lot but i got offered a prematch. perhaps they will tell you where u stand. u should make ur decision with as much info as u can get. some programs offered to tell me how they ranked me (they may not give u the exact number but will tell u how ur chances r.)