Delicate "When to take Step II" question

Started by makatak
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

makatak

Junior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
First of all Congrats to all who matched!

I am front loading 3 months of surgery July, aug, sept, and then will do an away elective either Oct, nov, and interview in Dec and January.

So I have to take Step II either Oct or Nov or put it off till after interviews. I scored in 230's on step I and am in top quartile for 3rd year clerkships. I feel i can do around the same or maybe a little better on step II.

Residents: Do I need to take Step II before interviews? Will they ask? Or can I ride my not spectacular, but decent step I score through interviews?

thanks in advance
 
I put off Step II until after interviews. I was never asked about it in an interview. I had two programs request my step II scores (which I did not have, of course), one of these programs granted me an interview anyway.

My advice would be that if you think taking step II early will add to your application (I did not think going up "little bit" will make a substantial difference), then take it early. It sounds like you already have a strong academic record and board scores, though.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Originally posted by Skylizard
First, if you did stellar or above average on step I nobody is going to ask to much about when you will take step II.

Second, if you are concerned about having a poor showing on step II then do not take it in enough time such that you have the scores before interviews...why would you want to set yourself up like that?

Third, if you take it early you should plan on sharing that information with the programs. Your score or the fact that you passed will often be noted on your med-school transcript. The programs you interview at may very well request a "fresh" transcript before final ranking.

...There is nothing wrong with taking a test in a way that optimizes your options. I will say there is arguably something wrong with choosing to take a test at a time that might be less then helpfull and then trying to with hold the information. Remember, you are choosing the date not them. Do not try and have it both ways...


So, this is just my opinion. In any event, I encourage you to think about your strategy in test taking and take the test in a way that will be optimal for you. After that, you will have to live with the results. It might be a gamble for you either way. It is just a question of which way is the biggest gamble.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi-

I was in the EXACT same situation last year- same board scores, class standing. I felt that I was a good, but not great, candidate and I wanted to do a few important surgery electives at the beginning of 4th year.

I thought one way to boost my profile would be to take step 2 early and ace it. I took 2 weeks off, studied very hard using the Kaplan online course, Q-bank book, and Crush the Boards and my score jumped nearly 20 points to a 250. I took the test in August so my scores were back right after I submitted ERAS.

I agree that it is a gamble, but if you decide to do it, study hard, and you will probably will do quite well. I don't think I was a particularly stellar candidate or anything (average state school, no research, not AOA) so maybe it was something to do with Step 2- I got interviews at all but one place that I applied.
 
Thanks for the input guys! it's a tough call. Is late october too late to take it to be considered for interviews?
 
Thanks for the input guys! it's a tough call. Is late october too late to take it to be considered for interviews?