DeLisa vs the AAPMR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lobelsteve

Staff member
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the history here? I have heard nothing but the fact that there is animosity and no one ever talks about what the hub-bub is all about.
Now he is ABMS, so who really cares about him and PMR?

Someone clue me in.

Members don't see this ad.

No old timers out there?

Or is his current position precluding meaningful discussion.

http://www.abms.org/News_and_Events/news_archive/release_DeLisaAppointedAsChair_03_08.aspx

My thoughts were that he hated PMR going to Pain or MSK based on casual conversations. I've also heard lots of people say he is not as nice as others who have written major texts.

I have met Braddom at lecture and he was just a nice guy. He was talking about his book (the murder mystery and not the text). Unassuming, pleasant, and happy. I liked talking to him and felt proud that I was entering a field with Randy at the helm.

I have met Grabois. 2003 in Chicago at a resident course for fellows in Pain Medicine. We were in line at the cocktail party sponsored by pharma and I just said hi and introduced myself. We talked for 10 minutes and all he let on was that he was in practice for several years, he was from Tx, he had an interest in Pain and that he thought it was just part of the practice of PMR. Someone walked up to him and said, "Hey Dr. Grabois". I felt like an idiot because I just bought a copy of his textbook and had no idea I was talking to a big dog in PMR. He was just cool. He was Marty from Texas.

But I just don't know this Joel character.

I don't know too much about any animosity with pm&r but did meet DeLisa at AAP and he was nice enough. Not as personable as Dr. Braddom in my opinion. I think it is great that he chaired ABMS for awhile (nice to see PM&R in leadership positions). I am not sure what he is up to now (leadership-wise) now that John McCabe is the chair of ABMS.

Members don't see this ad :)
The fruit doesn't fall far from the tree. Krusen trained Justus Lehmann, who was an old school German academic trained as a biophysicist @ the Max Planck Institute. Lehmann in turn, hired hired Stolov - who also trained in physics prior to med school - who eventually succeeded him as chair @ UW. Lehmann trained, Delisa, de LaTeur, and Gans. This became the Seattle school of Rehab and it was tough, academic, and like a lot of PM&R programs in that era, more R than PM.

IMO, none of these people are malignant, but they are much more academic than advocate. They are a stark contrast to the Chicago school lead by Betts & Sliwa, both of whom are wonderful people with excellent interpersonal skills.

I think a lot of the old school physiatrists have mixed feelings about pain and msk. Remember, all of the above were right in the thick of it when John Bonica was building his empire. Fordyce was in the PM&R Dept @ UW. By losing the R many of us feel - I'm pain boarded -we abandon a vulnerable population and part of our mission.

No old timers out there?

Or is his current position precluding meaningful discussion.

http://www.abms.org/News_and_Events/news_archive/release_DeLisaAppointedAsChair_03_08.aspx

My thoughts were that he hated PMR going to Pain or MSK based on casual conversations. I've also heard lots of people say he is not as nice as others who have written major texts.

I have met Braddom at lecture and he was just a nice guy. He was talking about his book (the murder mystery and not the text). Unassuming, pleasant, and happy. I liked talking to him and felt proud that I was entering a field with Randy at the helm.

I have met Grabois. 2003 in Chicago at a resident course for fellows in Pain Medicine. We were in line at the cocktail party sponsored by pharma and I just said hi and introduced myself. We talked for 10 minutes and all he let on was that he was in practice for several years, he was from Tx, he had an interest in Pain and that he thought it was just part of the practice of PMR. Someone walked up to him and said, "Hey Dr. Grabois". I felt like an idiot because I just bought a copy of his textbook and had no idea I was talking to a big dog in PMR. He was just cool. He was Marty from Texas.

But I just don't know this Joel character.

I don't know Delisa except that he was one of my orals examiner. Very tough but fair.

Grabois is a very nice guy, but a total gladhander. I trained at BCM, and after 4 years, he did not know any of the senior residents names. He just butchered them, coming up with names that were a combination of two of ours. Even the people who rotated with him! Even now, at our reunions, he greets everyone like he just met them for the first time.:laugh:

I don't blame him though. He has to meet 14 new residents/yr, and he really does not have a lot of contact with the resident teaching. That is left to the program director de jour.

delisa always sorta rubbed me the wrong way. heavy into academics and rehabilitation. maybe thats why.

the real question is: our own lobelsteve seems to be working his way into the PM&R society after what appears to be a bit of a hiatus. is there some sort of political motivation to your question????

delisa always sorta rubbed me the wrong way. heavy into academics and rehabilitation. maybe thats why.

the real question is: our own lobelsteve seems to be working his way into the PM&R society after what appears to be a bit of a hiatus. is there some sort of political motivation to your question????

I am not the guy that can stand there and take anyone's BS. I just speak my mind all kinda frontal lobe disinhibited style. So I cannot go far in the politics of medicine. I'm sure after my year on the membership committee, they will say thanks and good luck. I'm here to advance the field, advocate for PMR- not kiss ass and become the next member at large with an eye on President in 5 years.

We can get more done as outsiders looking in- I'd force the top 5 at the AAPMR and AAP to sit down and meld and if not possible than a deathmatch.
2 entities enter, 1 entity leaves. Enough of the talking in a soft voice so as not to offend anyone. But hey, I got my PD fired as a resident for piping off a bit too much. And I got to have lunch with the then head of the ACGME to save my arse. At least it was a free trip to Hawaii. Scattered thoughts indicate some remote TBI. Me, not you.