Delivery of a fetus in the face presentation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
Hello,

I am currently reading about delivering fetuses in the various positions. According to my textbook (Impey's), delivering in the face presentation is only possible if the position is mento-anterior. It states that mento-posterior delivery is not possible as the head is fully extended and as such can not extend any more. Why could the baby not however be delivered by flexion over the sacrum with the mother on all fours?

Thanks for any clarification.

Members don't see this ad.

Look beyond your textbook to Pearls of Exxellence and PubMed. There is a whole old body of literature on this and you will run across some really awful case reports that will make it clear to you why some things are too risky even if you can imagine a way it can work.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello,

I am currently reading about delivering fetuses in the various positions. According to my textbook (Impey's), delivering in the face presentation is only possible if the position is mento-anterior. It states that mento-posterior delivery is not possible as the head is fully extended and as such can not extend any more. Why could the baby not however be delivered by flexion over the sacrum with the mother on all fours?

Thanks for any clarification.
lol using real pic and real name on sdn

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Look beyond your textbook to Pearls of Exxellence and PubMed. There is a whole old body of literature on this and you will run across some really awful case reports that will make it clear to you why some things are too risky even if you can imagine a way it can work.
Will do thanks