Technology DELL Pocket PC???????????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PsyDRxPnow

Clinical Psychology
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am considering purchasing the 624 MHz X38 Dell Pocket PC. Any opinions or suggestions are welcomed.

Members don't see this ad.

PsyDRxPnow said:
I am considering purchasing the 624 MHz X38 Dell Pocket PC. Any opinions or suggestions are welcomed.

Hi. I've had a Dell X30 (624 Mghz, Bluetooth and Wifi for almost 5 months now. It's great in my opinion. For the features it has, you will NOT find a cheaper pocket pc (and believe me, I looked).

It will have Windows Mobile 2003 SE (second edition), which means you can have portrait/landscape mode changed in just a click of a button, enhanced wireless (very cool feature by the way; checking your email on the road near any free wireless connection (for eg, plenty of those in Manhattan) ), and much more that I don't really fully comprehend.

With a 512 MB or even a 1GB SD card, you don't even need an Ipod or an MP3 player. You can also download a free encyclopedia (wikipedia) on this SD card (takes about 180 MB for the Dec2003 edition). That simply is awesome. An encyclopedia that you take wherever you go.

Pocket Pc's rock!! I can't believe my wish came true when I used to see Star Trek staff carry small gadgets that looked like PDA's!!

Hani said:
Hi. I've had a Dell X30 (624 Mghz, Bluetooth and Wifi for almost 5 months now. It's great in my opinion. For the features it has, you will NOT find a cheaper pocket pc (and believe me, I looked).

It will have Windows Mobile 2003 SE (second edition), which means you can have portrait/landscape mode changed in just a click of a button, enhanced wireless (very cool feature by the way; checking your email on the road near any free wireless connection (for eg, plenty of those in Manhattan) ), and much more that I don't really fully comprehend.

With a 512 MB or even a 1GB SD card, you don't even need an Ipod or an MP3 player. You can also download a free encyclopedia (wikipedia) on this SD card (takes about 180 MB for the Dec2003 edition). That simply is awesome. An encyclopedia that you take wherever you go.

Pocket Pc's rock!! I can't believe my wish came true when I used to see Star Trek staff carry small gadgets that looked like PDA's!!

Hey Hani

Hani is actually my brother’s name. Thanks for the advice you are right. I have bought the Axim and I love it. It looks great and you cannot beat the features that come with it for the price that I have paid for it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I own and love the Axim X50v. All the same abilities as the older X30, but with a VGA screen (highest resolution available for a PDA right now). Plus $200 cheaper than the comparable model by HP.

www.aximsite.com for a lot more info.

NS

Yeah! The Dell x50v rocks! Viewing iSilo files in this PPC just makes me wonder how I could survive without a VGA screen all these years!! (Previously I owned the iPaq 1945 and then 2210)...

I have a Dell Axim X5, its an older model, but its works great. I recently upgraded to WM2003, and a 1Gig SD card and I am happy with it.

Another vote for the x50v. If you get it, be sure to get the free program that lets you convert to true VGA. As it's packaged, you'll only get standard resolution, but when you convert to full VGA it becomes incredibly useful...web and document browsing are nearly as easy as on a full computer.

LukeWhite said:
If you get it, be sure to get the free program that lets you convert to true VGA.

You gotta link for it? I'm not familiar with this app of which you speak.

NS

PsyDRxPnow said:

Several of my coworkers use the X30 and they love it. But they've had the occasional technical glitch. One had to return it to Dell and have it replaced.

I use the HP Ipaq 4155 - significantly smaller than the X30, same features. The processor is slower (400) but my Dell-using friends tell me that the faster processor uses the battery more quickly so they turn on the slower option to reduce it to half that. And they rarely notice the difference.

But the HP is more expensive. I'm sure you'll be very happy with the Dell.