• Livestream AMA: Join SDN as we welcome Dr. John Ligon, a Pediatric Oncologist with the National Cancer Institute on May 11th at 8:00 PM Eastern. Register now!
May 18, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Vanderbilt
Pros
  • Full Ride (with much higher tuition than Dell)
  • Much better school (I think)
  • Better research opportunities and more established programs

Cons
  • OOS, never seen Nashville or TN and don't love the country stuff
  • I might feel way out of my league at a place like Vanderbilt, and that fear goes up and down by the day
  • Pretty far from home (I'm from TX), but I can adapt fine. It will just be new city to me

Dell
Pros
  • Full Ride
  • In-state
  • better city
  • Smaller class size, so will be able to stand out more and start more things
  • feels lower competition so wont feel way out of my league (i.e. everyone isn't from some ivy league)

Cons
  • Not sure what the impression is about Dell since its new, and unsure how close it is in comparison to Vanderbilt. This might matter a lot, as I want to end up in TX

Summary: Blessed with two great offers from two great schools, but just feel unsure about which school would be the smartest choice and where I might fit best- I care a lot about research, helping Indigenous/underserved groups, and diversity.

Last edited:

bananabread99

2+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2018
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Wow congratulations on an amazing cycle!! You have two amazing offers (full-rides!) so it’s hard to say which one is superior, but my pick would be Vandy. I think Dell is still establishing itself and Vandy is well-established, great school with lots of opportunities, and I think it will help get you where you want to go.
Good luck to you!!

Reactions: 1 users

PatchAdamsWannabe

2+ Year Member
Oct 17, 2017
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I am not a country bumpkin by any standard but I absolutely love visiting Nashville-- it's a very unique city. Yes, you will probably see gaggles of women in cowboy boots for bachelorette parties every weekend if you frequently go down to the Broadway bars, but there are lots of other cool places in the city that don't revolve around "country stuff".

I'd choose Vandy because it is higher ranked, has great research opportunities, and is more established. But overall, you have two amazing (and free) options so you can't go wrong. Congrats on an awesome cycle future doc!

Kracin

2+ Year Member
May 17, 2017
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I have friends at both schools. I'd pick Vandy.

Better research, better rankings, AND P/F CLINICS. That will make a world of difference for your experience.

Reactions: 3 users
About the Ads
Jun 28, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Vandy is the far better school! And I’m not sure you can put “better city” as a pro for Dell if you’re putting “never seen Nashville” down haha.

Banco

5+ Year Member
May 28, 2014
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Full ride to Vandy? And you like research? You can't deny that offer.

Plus it might be nice to live somewhere else for 4 years. You will have absolutely no problem coming back to TX for residency from Vandy, if that's what you desire.

tulsajoe94

2+ Year Member
Apr 18, 2018
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Go to Vanderbilt. You won’t stand out more at Dell and you won’t feel the competition you’re afraid of at Vanderbilt with P/F grading. Those are bad reasons to go to Dell or avoid Vanderbilt.

Reactions: 2 users
Aug 5, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Nashville is an awesome city and there is a lot to do in the area surrounding campus. Lots of bars, restaurants, music etc in walking distance. I am from a country area originally and living in Nashville I never really felt the country vibe

About the Ads

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.