Delta Omega and PhD Admissions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mphseeker

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

So, I was just wondering, how much do you all think being inducted into Delta Omega for your MPH is weighted in the PhD admissions process?

My school just announced this years' inductess, and 2 individuals are epi concentrators out of the roughly 20 inductees this year (4-if you count the MS students who are a part of our epi and biostats department). There are no biostatistics inductees.

It just seems to me that it is a lot easier to meet the academic requirement for, say, an MCH or global health concentrator, than for an epidemiology or biostatistics concentrator (I don't mean to hurt anyone's feelings, but it is what it is).

That being said, do you guys think that having Delta Omega on your CV matters all that much in pursuing another degeree if your GPA is 3.5+ and you are involved in public health activities and have meaningful experience as a PhD Applicant?

Members don't see this ad.

I've never heard of Delta Omega and I've never heard any friends ever talk about Delta Omega. So I can't imagine it's that big of a factor in decisions.

I wouldn't say so much your overall GPA, but the grades you get in your Epi methods and Biostats/Analysis classes are considered.

And meaningful experience = research experience. Publications = big ++++++

First, from my experience it really depends on the individual PhD program. I am currently in a PhD program, not in PH but in Healthcare Management, however several of our classes are in with the PH students. I do know that a couple of them were in Delta Omega, but I do not believe it was taken as something worth much more in an application. Honestly, if you are a good student then likely Delta Omega admissions occurs. I think they work together. Meaning membership with less of a GPA at a lesser school would likely be valued less. I was in an honor society and I truly believe that my work experience, research abilities, and GPA factored into my application much more than the honor society. Perhaps it is completely different in PH programs.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think it makes a huge difference. Different schools have different policies regarding inductees, and at some schools top students don't even make the cut. I personally wasn't invited to Delta Omega and had friends who were not as well, yet we got into (good) PhD programs. Meanwhile the president of Delta Omega didn't get into any of the PhD programs that he applied to. It has more to do with the rest of your app than one honor society nod.

Hmm, very interesting perspectives. Thanks guys.

Guess I'll just continue to focus on my epi and biostats methods classes and work on finding a research project or two to work on.

from what i heard, publication is HUGE in getting into a good phd program. gpa matters, too. other than that... everything else is not that big of a deal.