PhD advising - what is best for qualitative research and rehab sci?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chanandler Bong

That's "MISS"
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, it's been FOREVER since I posted on this message board... missed y'all. šŸ„°

I completed my master's in occupational therapy, have been in practice for a few years, and now I am seriously thinking about PhD studies. I enjoy research and the university environment, and I can envision myself as a professor in a health sciences program. Alternatively, I'd be interested in a leadership role at a hospital or non-profit, perhaps coordinating research or being involved in clinical education -- but as you can tell, I'm not 100% sure what that role would look like, and I'm not as versed on what PhD opportunities exist outside academia.

Anyway, I am not sure exactly what program to apply to! There are very few "occupational therapy" PhD programs. My program was not heavy on mathematics or biomechanics, so my research was more qualitative in nature (think: surveys, interviews, personal narratives/ethnography) vs. quantitative/typical biomechanics research (I was not in a lab placing sensors on people's skin or doing stuff with computer programming or imaging, which is what a lot of programs seem to be looking for).

I am wondering if I should pursue a degree in public health, psychology, education or... something else? I am not entirely sure how to best sell my skill set. I feel I can definitely contribute to my profession as a researcher, but I'm a little disadvantaged from not following a more quantitative path. ā˜¹ļø So anyway, please help!

Members don't see this ad.