Delusional class mates? Is this common?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IMG69

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Basically there's a girl in my class - 1st semester of Medicine but it's really pre-med we're doing chemistry, physics, anatomy, maths. She plans on sitting USMLE step 1 next July and she would have only done Anatomy as a medical subject, she has no previous degree either. Essentially she plans to become a Cardiothoracic surgeon after 7 months of USMLE step 1 study and no previous exposure to any of the material as well as not even having classes on the material, she will also have to study for the subjects above at the same time - we all know how much of a pain pre-med chem and physics is. She is also paying $2000 USD for essentially a 2 week observership because she has no medical knowledge at all so what use is a rotation when you only know anatomy.

Basically do you have delusional class mates like this?? I personally plan on sitting USMLE after my 4th year when i've completed all the pre-clinicals.

I'm absolutely shocked I didn't realize these people actually existed.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm absolutely shocked I didn't realize these people actually existed.

Delusional? I think "blissful ignorance" is probably a better descriptor. And, usually a hard crash head-first into reality cures it.

Delusional would only fit if she can verbalize an understanding that this is not the actually pathway, yet she somehow still believes herself to be different and that this really is her pathway. If so, then she needs psychiatric help - not to be sitting in medical school class.

-Skip

People like that exist everywhere, especially in med school. Everyone's a dreamer.
You're one as well :p Dreams of Ortho in the US as an IMG, before you've even done the steps, without having actually been to the US. Just saying. Maybe you guys aren't at the same "level", but you're not all that far off from where she is either. So just let it be.

And who really cares anyway? just focus on your own stuff.

As above - they figure it out the hard way. You find out when they suddenly get really quiet.
Technically she wouldn't be allowed to write it unless she's reached 2nd year.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
People like that exist everywhere, especially in med school. Everyone's a dreamer.
You're one as well :p Dreams of Ortho in the US as an IMG, before you've even done the steps, without having actually been to the US. Just saying. Maybe you guys aren't at the same "level", but you're not all that far off from where she is either. So just let it be.

And who really cares anyway? just focus on your own stuff.

As above - they figure it out the hard way. You find out when they suddenly get really quiet.
Technically she wouldn't be allowed to write it unless she's reached 2nd year.

? I'm building my CV for US ortho so I can get into New Zealand Ortho, if that makes sense to you (Should have an amazing CV basically)

I don't care I just think it's hilarious, why would you sit the steps before you've even had lectures on 90% of the topics. It will be second year when she writes it however we're MBBS so 6 years.

Basically, as an IMG, your chances of getting US ortho is virtually zero. It would require stellar performance, plus several years of US research / clinical experience, and a huge amount of luck.

Basically, as an IMG, your chances of getting US ortho is virtually zero. It would require stellar performance, plus several years of US research / clinical experience, and a huge amount of luck.

I know this? hence me saying i'm trying to build a 'US ortho' CV to maximize my new zealand ortho chances.

Sounds like you've not been clear about that on prior posts, hence the confusion that you are trying for US Ortho.

Well you have to dig a little to get better responses than 'it's impossible' ;)

Reactions: 1 user
Ahh. I was confused because you mentioned in the 1st post that you were taking the USMLE. Hence, I assumed you'd be trying in the US.

Good luck!

Ahh. I was confused because you mentioned in the 1st post that you were taking the USMLE. Hence, I assumed you'd be trying in the US.

Good luck!

Well Step 1 can be used for NZ licensing so I may as well do it and because I don't trust the quality of education here (so much cheating and bribery, we cannot view our exam papers) also I do think I could possibly get U.S Ortho anyway since I could potentially get 100+ publications to my name by the time I graduate and a post I made in the Ortho forums got a response saying a guy got in with a 219 step 1 (maybe slightly higher can't remember) but he had more publications than the attendings even; perhaps this vast amount of research can net me some interest when I do rotations in the U.S.

The only reason I say this is because I am basically the only white person with native english here - a few Russians but regardless all the professors often send me snippets of research to proof read and polish up the english and this is without me even asking for research and this gets my name on the paper.

Still undecided whether I would take Gen surgery if I got offered it in the U.S as well.

Any who, the big deal for me applying to the U.S is that it saves me 5+ years to specialize compared to NZ so why not give it a shot.

Thanks for your response :)

Well Step 1 can be used for NZ licensing so I may as well do it and because I don't trust the quality of education here (so much cheating and bribery, we cannot view our exam papers) also I do think I could possibly get U.S Ortho anyway since I could potentially get 100+ publications to my name by the time I graduate and a post I made in the Ortho forums got a response saying a guy got in with a 219 step 1 (maybe slightly higher can't remember) but he had more publications than the attendings even; perhaps this vast amount of research can net me some interest when I do rotations in the U.S.

The only reason I say this is because I am basically the only white person with native english here - a few Russians but regardless all the professors often send me snippets of research to proof read and polish up the english and this is without me even asking for research and this gets my name on the paper.

Still undecided whether I would take Gen surgery if I got offered it in the U.S as well.

Any who, the big deal for me applying to the U.S is that it saves me 5+ years to specialize compared to NZ so why not give it a shot.

I could also potentially marry kate upton this year

Well I already had 8 publications after my 1st semester which only involved two medical subjects but anyway this discussion doesn't need to continue anymore :)

Have a nice day

Well I already had 8 publications after my 1st semester which only involved two medical subjects but anyway this discussion doesn't need to continue anymore :)

Have a nice day
Frankly put, if you got 8 pubs in your first semester they were just filler. It’s like bragging that you got 72 girls phone numbers one night, at a certain point the volume implies lack of quality

Frankly put, if you got 8 pubs in your first semester they were just filler. It’s like bragging that you got 72 girls phone numbers one night, at a certain point the volume implies lack of quality

Well i'm no expert so I can't judge the quality but like I said, when your the only white native english speaker they all come to you for proof reading, so it's not so much the quality of the research being poor and giving it to me but more that I literally just correct the english as I said above.... having however many medical departments pushing out research and rather than paying for proof-reading I do it and get my name added, plain and simple.

0mw1I8e.gif

Well i'm no expert so I can't judge the quality but like I said, when your the only white native english speaker they all come to you for proof reading, so it's not so much the quality of the research being poor and giving it to me but more that I literally just correct the english as I said above.... having however many medical departments pushing out research and rather than paying for proof-reading I do it and get my name added, plain and simple.
That's um. Not exactly what people are looking for when they ask if you have research experience and publications. That all you did was proofread. And not the actual, research part.
It also matters where the articles are published - like what journals (this was discussed in your other threads). Also the type of article - whether case reports or randomized control trials. being first author also carries more weight (because it means or implies you did most of the actual work and writing).

Last edited:
That's um. Not exactly what people are looking for when they ask if you have research experience and publications. That all you did was proofread. And not the actual, research part.
It also matters where the articles are published - like what journals (this was discussed in your other threads). Also the type of article - whether case reports or randomized control trials. being first author also carries more weight.

Well I mean I read through the paper and discuss with the Professor etc so I have some understanding but I do know what you mean; i'm not the one doing the methods etc. However sometimes I am for example i'm currently working on my ideas which one of the professor actually liked enough to make a project, so i'm opening up the rats and injecting the myostatin etc etc

Yes i'm aware, the majority of our submissions are to the Journal of Anatomy ranked 3/21 for Anatomy journals.

I mean sure this may be slightly dishonest in terms of boosting numbers but I see no harm when people get spots purely because of contacts, i'm just using my situation for some gain like everyone else.

Well I mean I read through the paper and discuss with the Professor etc so I have some understanding but I do know what you mean; i'm not the one doing the methods etc. However sometimes I am for example i'm currently working on my ideas which one of the professor actually liked enough to make a project, so i'm opening up the rats and injecting the myostatin etc etc

Yes i'm aware, the majority of our submissions are to the Journal of Anatomy ranked 3/21 for Anatomy journals.

I mean sure this may be slightly dishonest in terms of boosting numbers but I see no harm when people get spots purely because of contacts, i'm just using my situation for some gain like everyone else.
Why do you think programs want candidates with research experience? What's the point?

all the professors often send me snippets of research to proof read and polish up the english and this is without me even asking for research and this gets my name on the paper.

What you're describing is research fraud. "Slightly dishonest" doesn't apply.

You should totally do that.

Reactions: 2 users