Demand for pharmacist and economy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Diazomethane

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I know there has been a lot of talk about how pharmacy is suffering in this economy. As a P1, this is scaring me. With the loans I am racking up and the lack of part-time intern job due to the hiring freeze... Everyone I talk to in the profession, they worry me more by implying pharmacy is going downhill. I am hoping someone can give me a little comforting answer with a career in pharmacy.

My question is, if the economy gets better, can I hope for an increase in demand for pharmacists? If the Dow Jones is any indicator of the economy, then doesn't it look like the slowing economy has passed an inflection point and is close to getting better?

I'm not an expert, but with increased investor confidence I really hope new pharmacies will open up again to accomodate the increased aging population. I know there is usually a lag between stock prices and its influences on actual employment, but can I expect a light at the end of the tunnel soon? (preferably by 2011 when I graduate 🙂)
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I can predict the future. This profession will come to a stop, and start to expand again. It is like the heart. It contracts and relaxes. One thing to consider, if you do not become a pharmacist, what else can you be?
 
"My question is, if the economy gets better, can I hope for an increase in demand for pharmacists? If the Dow Jones is any indicator of the economy, then doesn't it look like the slowing economy has passed an inflection point and is close to getting better?"

The Dow Jones is an indicator of corporate profits, their profits are not always a good indicator of life on "mainstreet". When they cut jobs, their stock goes up; when they outsource, their stock goes up; and when they find any way to pay labor less to boost profits, their stock goes up.

Many of the companies where their employees are unionized and get good pay and benefits have some of the lowest priced shares on Wall Street and they may soon be bankrupt.

Wallstreet does not represent how the average American is doing these days. Globalization killed that relationship.

I feel it's only worth watching Wallstreet so far as it concerns any particular stock I may own. As an indicator of the health of this economy for the average American - it's next to worthless anymore.
 
I feel it's only worth watching Wallstreet so far as it concerns any particular stock I may own. As an indicator of the health of this economy for the average American - it's next to worthless anymore.


Ditto. Wall Street is a slave to globalization, or is it the other way around?

Goldman posts $3 billion profit in 1st quarter of 2009

I know it wasn't US business bolstering those profits.

Do these c*ck suckers look American to you?

http://www2.goldmansachs.com/our-firm/investors/index.html

Personally, I think the American Dream is a fallacy. Globalization does not improve the financial situation of the middle class. It spreads wealth among our Nation's top wage-earners and the top wage-earners of other countries.

The ride has begun ladies and gents...and if ya ain't on now...chances are ya ain't gettin on...the gravy train is movin too fast.





Disclaimer: For the bleeding hearts; yes, I know looks don't define whether someone is American. It was an easy illustration of my point.
 
Um. . . what does the crystal ball say? Oh yes, the economy may get better and it may get worse. On the long term, it will all work out, but doesn't everyone die in the long term.
 
oh yeah and pharmd students are in pharmacy school because they got kicked out of wall street for knowing too much
 
I know there has been a lot of talk about how pharmacy is suffering in this economy. As a P1, this is scaring me. With the loans I am racking up and the lack of part-time intern job due to the hiring freeze... Everyone I talk to in the profession, they worry me more by implying pharmacy is going downhill. I am hoping someone can give me a little comforting answer with a career in pharmacy.

My question is, if the economy gets better, can I hope for an increase in demand for pharmacists? If the Dow Jones is any indicator of the economy, then doesn't it look like the slowing economy has passed an inflection point and is close to getting better?

I'm not an expert, but with increased investor confidence I really hope new pharmacies will open up again to accomodate the increased aging population. I know there is usually a lag between stock prices and its influences on actual employment, but can I expect a light at the end of the tunnel soon? (preferably by 2011 when I graduate 🙂)

I say you cut your losses now and drop out.
 
Yeah...everything will just work itself out...like the 13 million Americans who are unemployed...they will just become construction workers under the stimulus plan.

None of the jobs that Americans have been laid off from will be outsourced overseas. They will get "green jobs"...wherever those are.

All the healthcare benefits being squashed by the corporations will automagically be substituted in the form of Medicaid.🙄 Corporate CEOs will become stewards of our fellow Americans' pension plans as Unions are slowly bled to death and the government teaches us to live off Unemployment and Social Security (that thing that's gonna run out pretty soon)

All of the profits earned once the stock market rebounds will be reinvested in the US.



The industry that enabled this recession...has received the most money from taxpayers...the industry that is filled with all the "Business/Marketing" majors. And we can't forget all the mortgage officers who aren't even required to prove a proficiency in Arithmetic...let alone explain your 3/1 ARM.


In the meantime, I'll hope for the best.
 
I know there has been a lot of talk about how pharmacy is suffering in this economy. As a P1, this is scaring me. With the loans I am racking up and the lack of part-time intern job due to the hiring freeze... Everyone I talk to in the profession, they worry me more by implying pharmacy is going downhill. I am hoping someone can give me a little comforting answer with a career in pharmacy.

My question is, if the economy gets better, can I hope for an increase in demand for pharmacists? If the Dow Jones is any indicator of the economy, then doesn't it look like the slowing economy has passed an inflection point and is close to getting better?

I'm not an expert, but with increased investor confidence I really hope new pharmacies will open up again to accomodate the increased aging population. I know there is usually a lag between stock prices and its influences on actual employment, but can I expect a light at the end of the tunnel soon? (preferably by 2011 when I graduate 🙂)

So I probably will give you the most useful information ever? Try to recession proof for career. Get good grades, achieve post graduate education and work yourself into a niche in pharmacy. Whether that means a fellowship or another degree, the more you differentiate yourself from others, the more unique and the better positions open themselves up to you
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi,

I've talked to a few fellow pharmacists and it's true that the economy has impacted on the pharmacy profession (as well as other professions too). I've heard that several of pharmacist of a long term care facility have been laid off due to the dramatic drop in census + termination of contracts. Know a couple of my classmates currently working for walgreens +CVS and they complain of hours been cutting back and a couple technicians were let go. Pretty sad, but it's the reality.


Future? Who knows! But everything has up and down moments....rite? Currently, it's down-time so...just wish for a brighter day. Right now, just focus on ur studying. You don't wanna quit in between....When you graduate, you still have a degree...rather than nothing if you quit now.
 
Your best option is to drop out now, and invest the money you saved for college into buying a garbage truck. That's a service that's not going away. 😀

Seriously, is it necessary to create umpteenth thread on the same topic?

i bet you there is a forum on the internet where garbage men are anxious about how their jobs will soon be replaced by robots in the near future.

Nobody is safe. :scared:

On a related note I went to a health clinic today I talked to 3 different PAs before I saw the one doctor working there. The future is here and it's kicking our collective @$$'s.