Demoted to Floater

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ancienbon

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
In my district a couple of staff rphs are being demoted to floater without their will. .. I know some people don't mind floating but the pay cut is significant from 40 hrs a week to 30 hours a week. That is well over 32 k a year.

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah but less hours so better work/life balance?

Reactions: 2 users
I see that you're a 7+ year member here... when did you graduate? How long have you been working? Are your loans paid off yet? Are you married? Kids?

Sorry this happened to you, but like the other poster said, maybe something positive can come out of this (better work/life balance).

Members don't see this ad :)
I see that you're a 7+ year member here... when did you graduate? How long have you been working? Are your loans paid off yet? Are you married? Kids?

Sorry this happened to you, but like the other poster said, maybe something positive can come out of this (better work/life balance).[/QUOTE
It did not happen to me... .... in my district two people are demoted to floater.

In my district a couple of staff rphs are being demoted to floater without their will. .. I know some people don't mind floating but the pay cut is significant from 40 hrs a week to 30 hours a week. That is well over 32 k a year.

Its bad in the midwest but even worse down south. One of the pharmacist supervisors in Florida had 30 hours of HUB in his district the last week and the neighboring district had 40 hours HUB.

Though it did not happen to me, I am concerned. I average 84 hrs q 2 weeks. With my current rate, this will be a pay cut of about 40 k / year. My biggest concern now is my student loans which i am planning to pay off in 14 months. i have over 47 k left.

Though it did not happen to me, I am concerned. I average 84 hrs q 2 weeks. With my current rate, this will be a pay cut of about 40 k / year. My biggest concern now is my student loans which i am planning to pay off in 14 months. i have over 47 k left.

I had around $70-80k in student loans when I graduated and was fortunate to pay it off in about 2 years. I lived way below my means, took vacation as a paid out, and had made a decent profit from selling CVS stock I purchased for under $50.

Unfortunately, every year since graduating, hours have been cut again and again. I remember after graduating getting calls or emails what seemed like every day to pick up a shift here or there on top of getting offered mileage and pay for a hotel. This was when most stores were 8-10 and there were a lot more 24 hour stores.

Now there are pharmacists in our region who are being forced to use vacation days to keep others from losing their FT status.

Reactions: 1 user

Which area are you from? I'm currently a staff rph in Florida and on an ambitious plan to payoff my loans in 3 years at $4,000 a month. I can't afford to have less than 40 hours/week. If I ever get demoted, I will have no choice but to look for a second job (even non-pharmacy related). It's really bad here in Florida. In one district, there are 30+ Rph not getting enough hours to keep their full time status. Most new hires in my district are getting maxed 32 hours/week.

Which area are you from? I'm currently a staff rph in Florida and on an ambitious plan to payoff my loans in 3 years at $4,000 a month. I can't afford to have less than 40 hours/week. If I ever get demoted, I will have no choice but to look for a second job (even non-pharmacy related). It's really bad here in Florida. In one district, there are 30+ Rph not getting enough hours to keep their full time status. Most new hires in my district are getting maxed 32 hours/week.
South Florida

Those demoted to floaters are normally weak rphs, can't keep up with metrics, or trouble makers. Just keep doing well, they won't demote you.

Reactions: 3 users
South Florida

I would take any FT position available in FL after applying relentlessly since August (moved there in May) and baby due in the spring. I have been flying back and forth between states to work/then fly back down to interview on my days off.

Was supposedly given an offer with a CVS after I met with the supervisor down there to start this month, though haven't heard anything back in over a week.

Last edited:
Those demoted to floaters are normally weak rphs, can't keep up with metrics, or trouble makers. Just keep doing well, they won't demote you.

That is what i hope. But you never know.. there is no way i can survive with 30 hours a a week.

That is what i hope. But you never know.. there is no way i can survive with 30 hours a a week.

The cost of living definitely seems higher down there (even without having state income tax). Our car insurance went up by over twice what it had been, not to mention the housing costs. Downsizing by 1000 sq feet for an older built house still costs easily an additional $100k if not more.

Members don't see this ad :)

My store is a very high achieving store. Met every single metric except MTM, which nobody has time for. Customers love me. If I get demoted it won't be because of performance. I'm just concern my company might consider cutting back on full-time rph. It might save them more money by keeping only pharmacy manager and hiring a bunch of part-time floaters.

My store is a very high achieving store. Met every single metric except MTM, which nobody has time for. Customers love me. If I get demoted it won't be because of performance. I'm just concern my company might consider cutting back on full-time rph. It might save them more money by keeping only pharmacy manager and hiring a bunch of part-time floaters.

Are you with Walgreens or one of the grocery chains (Publix/Winn-Dixie)?

I have been working at the same store for over 4 years now. It is a busy store that fills well over 3 k a week. script count is over 15 percent year to date..and customer service is decent...

I don't mean to worry anyone but with demand for pharmDs static or increasing a little and the supply of pharmDs increasing massively I don't think it is surprising that hours are being cut to make room for new grads. I also would not be surprised if many of those with reduced hours are scheduled to be laid-off at the next big corporate layoff. This is how many corporations work.

The best employees get raises or keep there job the worst slowly are demoted and humiliated until they quit (preferably to avoid possible litigation) or they are laid off during the next big "downturn". HR calls this "right sizing". I would secretyl tell your friends that got demoted to start to look around for jobs in case they are separated from the company.

Hahah, I was just having the same thoughts but no balls to say it. The only other reason behind this is probably the fact that they over hired rph in the area and forcing everyone to have hour cut will split the hours amongst the newbies.

For the part time floaters does the company have to pay as much healthcare benefits? benefits in general? this could be the reason why the company would rather have many part time pharmacists over a few fulltime. ALso it gives them more flexibility if pharmacist call off/take vacations.

Its bad in the midwest but even worse down south. One of the pharmacist supervisors in Florida had 30 hours of HUB in his district the last week and the neighboring district had 40 hours HUB.

What does HUB stand for? Hours under budget?

It is definitely disheartening that this is happening as students graduate with record debt levels. But anyone who didn't see this coming is a fool.

What does HUB stand for? Hours under budget?

It is definitely disheartening that this is happening as students graduate with record debt levels. But anyone who didn't see this coming is a fool.

HUB = Hours Under Base. So for example, if 3 FT pharmacists were hired with a salary of 40 hours/week, it would mean that they are only getting paid/scheduled for 30 hours/week. Any less than 30 hours per week you risk losing FT status (and possibly benefits).

60*30=1800
1800*52=93600
I don't understand how this is too little money.
Is it due to school loans or child support?

A s

It would be a significant pay cut from 135 k to 93 k...

I took that pay cut pretty much on paper when I went to the VA, however, due to OT and also working PT I was able to not actually realize such a big cut. Even with the reduced cut, the extra work and the pay difference was noticeable. Missing 1k each month was quite a bit.

Final W2 wages last year full time retail ~143k (small bonus + extra hours)
First year govt + 8-12 hours PT retail/month+ occasional OT= ~120k (add extra 4.4% after tax pay cut for Pension, which ends up being another $4500 real paycut)

60*30=1800
1800*52=93600

So assuming that starting rate = 93,600
Factor in Federal Withholding (~25%) = -$23,400
Federal OASDI/EE= = - $7,300
Federal Medicare/EE = = - $2,000
Medical (Insurance) Withholding = - $2,000
Contributing Only 5% to 401k = $4,680
Student loan monthly payment x12 = -$13,000
Monthly Rent/Mortgage $1500 x 12 = - $18,000
Minimum Car Insurance for 2 cars/yr = $-1,500
Groceries/Electric/Water/Sewer/Trash = $-7,500
Internet/Cell Phone/Gasoline/Oil Changes = -$4,000
Car Payment/Vehicle Registration/Plate Fee = $-3,600
= $6,000 left
Then you factor any clothes/kids/medical bills/misc. maintenance (AC breaks, car needs new tires), lawn maintenance, HOA fees, Netflix (unless you want to really be frugal), HSA contributions, gifts for Christmas/birthdays, and in FL if you live in a neighborhood that has CDD fees.

Honestly I feel even worse for the 'average' American family with both parents working and some having two jobs each to make ends meet.

60*30=1800
1800*52=93600

If you live in a medium to high cost of living area $93,000 doesn't go far at all. Pharmacists who live in high cost of living areas are taking a large pay cut in real terms in a lot of cases.

So assuming that starting rate = 93,600
Factor in Federal Withholding (~25%) = -$23,400
Federal OASDI/EE= = - $7,300
Federal Medicare/EE = = - $2,000
Medical (Insurance) Withholding = - $2,000
Contributing Only 5% to 401k = $4,680
Student loan monthly payment x12 = -$13,000
Monthly Rent/Mortgage $1500 x 12 = - $18,000
Minimum Car Insurance for 2 cars/yr = $-1,500
Groceries/Electric/Water/Sewer/Trash = $-7,500
Internet/Cell Phone/Gasoline/Oil Changes = -$4,000
Car Payment/Vehicle Registration/Plate Fee = $-3,600
= $6,000 left
Then you factor any clothes/kids/medical bills/misc. maintenance (AC breaks, car needs new tires), lawn maintenance, HOA fees, Netflix (unless you want to really be frugal), HSA contributions, gifts for Christmas/birthdays, and in FL if you live in a neighborhood that has CDD fees.

Honestly I feel even worse for the 'average' American family with both parents working and some having two jobs each to make ends meet.
Federal taxes for Married Filing Jointly, spouse doesn't work and 2 kids, and subtracting the untaxed 401k, health insurance and standard deduction is only going to be $7k with child tax credits, or $16,400 less than your figure. Even a single person with no kids will pay $14,900 in tax for an effective rate of 17%.
Social Security OASDI is 6.2% = $5,803 or $1,500 less than your estimate.
Medicare is 1.45% = $1,357 or $643 less than your estimate.
So that's already another $18,500 more in the budget.

Reactions: 1 users
30 hours a week is still full time benefits and it is fairly easy to pick up extra shifts especially if you are willing to travel or work overnights.

Federal taxes for Married Filing Jointly, spouse doesn't work and 2 kids, and subtracting the untaxed 401k, health insurance and standard deduction is only going to be $7k with child tax credits, or $16,400 less than your figure. Even a single person with no kids will pay $14,900 in tax for an effective rate of 17%.
Social Security OASDI is 6.2% = $5,803 or $1,500 less than your estimate.
Medicare is 1.45% = $1,357 or $643 less than your estimate.

You're correct- I had calculated those figures using total gross rather than net pay YTD. Though I didn't include state income tax and/or county tax (excluding FL which has no state income tax)

Last edited: