Denied admission after Interview....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Primus25

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I had an interview last week for a doctor of pharmacy program and I just found out today that I was denied. I ended up calling to see if there were any notes left as to why I was denied admission. Apparently, the only note that was left was that I was too nervous in the interview. They said everything else looked good and they recommended for me to take interview classes, or practice interview sessions. I do not recall being that nervous.....I mean, don't get me wrong, I was nervous, but who isn't?

Here is my question....Should I call back to the university and ask to speak to the Dean or Assistant Dean to ask more specifics, or perhaps have a 1-on-1 with him? Would this help, at all, or is the decision absolutely final. I am really passionate about pharmacy. I have devoted my last 5 years as a certified technician and the proper schooling. My patient interaction is great and I receive compliments all of the time. I am just outright shell-shocked about the decision. I mean, not even waitlisted.....just denied....ugh.

Members don't see this ad.

So sorry. That really stinks. I know when I didn't even get picked for an interview last cycle, I spoke with the director of admissions at my school of choice. I wanted to see what I could do to be a better applicant for this go round. Is there someone there who isn't the Dean that you could speak with?

Rejection can be a hard hit and make one feel as though it's the end, but let me assure you that it's not. I think that the comment about you being too nervous which lead to your denial is very vague and doesn't really help you truly understand what you did wrong. Were your answers not clear due to your amount of nerves? Did the answers not make sense or were you stuttering or talking too fast and because of that they were not able to understand your thought process/ answers. So "too nervous" is very vague. Unfortunately, once you are denied then you are denied and the decision is final.

The best thing to do now is too practice interview questions on your own or with someone, and also practicing calming your nerves (breathing, thinking happy thoughts, etc) Nerves can be a good and bad thing, take a test for example, nerves can help you stay focused and do better but too much can cause brain farts, overthinking, and causing you to go blank. You can use this and perform better in future interviews or in next year's cycle.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had the same experience last year. You should not bother taking this issue higher up, as the Dean, etc. are likely to just repeat the same advice to you.
I applied to the same school again this year and was accepted. I found that doing practice interviews with a college career counselor helped me improve - she didn't know anything about pharmacy, we were just practicing interview skills.

Thank you all for your comments and kind words. I took this news rather hard, but I will continue on and improve where I need to improve.

Hello everyone,

I had an interview last week for a doctor of pharmacy program and I just found out today that I was denied. I ended up calling to see if there were any notes left as to why I was denied admission. Apparently, the only note that was left was that I was too nervous in the interview. They said everything else looked good and they recommended for me to take interview classes, or practice interview sessions. I do not recall being that nervous.....I mean, don't get me wrong, I was nervous, but who isn't?

Here is my question....Should I call back to the university and ask to speak to the Dean or Assistant Dean to ask more specifics, or perhaps have a 1-on-1 with him? Would this help, at all, or is the decision absolutely final. I am really passionate about pharmacy. I have devoted my last 5 years as a certified technician and the proper schooling. My patient interaction is great and I receive compliments all of the time. I am just outright shell-shocked about the decision. I mean, not even waitlisted.....just denied....ugh.

Applications are still open, so go that route. Also, I would contact theschools advisors and see if they can help with interview questions or put you into contact with people that can help on campus.

Where did you apply? I have my interview friday and I am so nervous

Hello everyone,

Sorry to hear that. I would just still keep contacting them and maybe let them put you on alternate list for this year.
I also have an interview coming up. If you don't mind me asking what were the questions like on interview?