dent school rankings

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentdent

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i was just wondering if anybody had a list of school rankings regarding performance on boards.. anybody?

Members don't see this ad.

Harvard and UCLA are at the top.

University of Washington is up near the top

Members don't see this ad :)
Uconn is way up there too. I think Upenn is somewhere on the top too, not sure about that one though

i'm pretty sure every school scores above the national average ;)

SIU ranked 8th among the dental schools for 2005

From what I remember, I believe it goes like this:

Harvard, UCONN, Columbia, UPENN. In that order.
I know that Stonybrook is up there somewhere after these, also hard as some of these to get in there.

If Harvard invited me, well.... wow... i wish.

:laugh:

whoops. You were asking about boards. I don't know, then. :scared:

No, no.. I was right the first time. It is in that order. Boards :smuggrin:

Here's what I could find on Dental School Rankings:

How are Dental Schools ranked, and how could I get more information about the rankings?

Thanks for the question on our Ask the Dentist Web site regarding the ranking of Dental Schools. To my knowledge, there have only been two individuals or organizations that have ranked dental schools; US News and World Report in 1993 and The Gourman Report on a periodic basis. Both organizations have multple flaws in the methodology of ranking the schools.

The major problem is that the rankings were based on the perception of Deans, administrators, faculty and others about the relative quality of the schools and not on any objective criteria that compared "apples to apples". The dental schools complained bitterly to US News and as a result US News has discontinued ranking US dental schools. Parenthetically, the dental schools were given wide acclaim by our colleagues in higher education as being the only education enterprise that has stood up to US News. As you may know, rankings of all colleges and universities are under intense criticism by our colleagues in the higher education community.

Dominick P. DePaola, DDS, PhD
Former President
Baylor College of Dentistry
The Texas A&M University System

Hope this helps.

Dr. Parm said:

How are Dental Schools ranked, and how could I get more information about the rankings?

Thanks for the question on our Ask the Dentist Web site regarding the ranking of Dental Schools. To my knowledge, there have only been two individuals or organizations that have ranked dental schools; US News and World Report in 1993 and The Gourman Report on a periodic basis. Both organizations have multple flaws in the methodology of ranking the schools.

The major problem is that the rankings were based on the perception of Deans, administrators, faculty and others about the relative quality of the schools and not on any objective criteria that compared "apples to apples". The dental schools complained bitterly to US News and as a result US News has discontinued ranking US dental schools. Parenthetically, the dental schools were given wide acclaim by our colleagues in higher education as being the only education enterprise that has stood up to US News. As you may know, rankings of all colleges and universities are under intense criticism by our colleagues in the higher education community.

Former President

Hope this helps.

Info like this just makes me loooooove dentistry all the more! :D I love dentistry.........dentists are so cooool, la la la la la. :D

Dr. Parm said:

Former President

Hope this helps.

The original poster was asking about how schools do on the boards, not the dental school rankings.

The last board scores showed UAB was 1st for part 2 and Washington 1st for part one.

Rezdawg said:
Harvard and UCLA are at the top.

That's what we've been told too for Part I. It's been Harvard #1 and UCLA #2 for awhile, but I have no idea where any of the other schools rank. It's interesting how secretive schools are about this stuff.

Jacobdatoofman said:
The last board scores showed UAB was 1st for part 2 and Washington 1st for part one.

Where you guys get these rankings from?

boree said:
Where you guys get these rankings from?

I was told that harvard is #1 and uconn is #2 for boards, by admissions people at uconn. I think its pretty ridiculous that we cant find official board score rankings from a website somewhere. :thumbdown:

jeanniebluebird said:
I was told that harvard is #1 and uconn is #2 for boards, by admissions people at uconn. I think its pretty ridiculous that we cant find official board score rankings from a website somewhere. :thumbdown:

Did they say what boards they were talking about? Part I, Part II, regional boards? I know last year Harvard was #1 with a 92.7 average for part I, and UCLA was #2 with a 92.0, with the next closest school having an 88, though I don't know what school that was.

Tufts published their numbers in the big book they give you at interviews.

On Boards Part 1 from 98 through 06

Their rank: 12, 7, 8, 9, 6, 5, 24, 23, 4.
I thought I remembered him saying that you could get all this information which is published by the ADA.

UW has the following posted on their website:

"National Board (DDS) Part I and Part II: Ranked in 1st Quintile last six years."