Dental anesthesiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sundar

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I was just wondering why not much is talked about dental anesthesiology. I am still a predental. But, was intrigued by dental anesthesiology. Is it a competetive speciality and do they have to work only in hospitals?. Thanks in advance to all replies.

Members don't see this ad.

sundar said:
Hi,
I was just wondering why not much is talked about dental anesthesiology. I am still a predental. But, was intrigued by dental anesthesiology. Is it a competetive speciality and do they have to work only in hospitals?. Thanks in advance to all replies.

The answers are no and no. It is pretty cool, though. They do a lot of kid sedations in some areas, I think.

sundar said:
Hi,

Dental anesthestists can do any anesthesia cases they want. Either within a hospital setting, or in private practice (for a dentist, platsic surgeon, etc). You have the same opportunities that an MD anesthesiologist has, with only one problem...you have a DDS. It's kind of like the OMS who has the DDS with or without the MD. Ohio State has a 3 year program and is looking to expand to 4. If you already know you want to do anesthesia, you should consider the MD route. I'm thinking certain programs are competitve, but most are not.