Dental Assistant Job

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docsmiley

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
HI..
Can any one please guide me as to how to look for a DA job and whether to expect any pay at all...im a perm resident...and want to work either as a DA or an observer..ive tried looking around my ome..applied at some offices, but, they never got back to me...with any response..how have others gone through this process?
thanks....

Members don't see this ad.

Hi!
Of course you should work for salary>Why would you be observer?

First: make good resume and cover letter (if you need some help, try GOOGLE- sample resume for dental assistant).

Second: try www.craigslist.org for jobs in your area or newspapers.Depends where you live, there may be some agencies to help you find your job ( in NYC there are couple of them specified for dental assistant placement with no fee for you).

Third: send your resume and cover letter to add you like.

Forth: go to interview when they contact you.

Fifth: do not be shy at the interview and scared if you do not know how thing exactly work here ( you will learn as you go).
YOU ARE THE DENTIST and you know more than needed to work as a assistant.Of course, everybody will teach you their way, but is not bad, it will help you in the future.

Salary depends on the area>

Good luck!

DENTALS

Members don't see this ad :)
can you work as a DA using EAD or you need GC for it?

u can work using ur EAD as DA . no need of green card

Anyone know what is the requirement in Atlanta , if i have to work as a DA. Do i have to do any certificate course . I am FTD & also have EAD with me. I'll appreciate your help.
Thanx

HI..
Can any one please guide me as to how to look for a DA job and whether to expect any pay at all...im a perm resident...and want to work either as a DA or an observer..ive tried looking around my ome..applied at some offices, but, they never got back to me...with any response..how have others gone through this process?
thanks....

Hi docsmiley,

I sent you a private message. Please check that, its regarding dental assiatant job.

I hope that helps you.

Hi docsmiley,

I sent you a private message. Please check that, its regarding dental assiatant job.

I hope that helps you.
hi..i have got some pms about da job..but from different members.have you sent it to me from a different user id???
if not, please send it again..as i hav not received any pm from you..
thanks..i appeciate it..

hi docsmiley,
i am also lookin for the da job,no results coming up,can u some tips.if possible,plz pm me.
hi..no success ..me too..where do you live??ive tried my best..and keep sending my resumes..but no luck...im in illinois, schaumburg

Same thing! I am in Morton Grove IL.
I have been to 2 interviews. It seems that they want people with experience. Second interview was really weird with an old lady instead of the doctor telling me every 5 min:" Where was I?", "what was I saying?"

Really weird!

Same thing! I am in Morton Grove IL.
I have been to 2 interviews. It seems that they want people with experience. Second interview was really weird with an old lady instead of the doctor telling me every 5 min:" Where was I?", "what was I saying?"

Really weird!
yes...they never get back..ive tried a lot of dentists..around barrington, hoffman , naperville etc..but no response...even as an observer..they dont want to allow me to enter their clinic..lol...
and i have around 6 years of experience....any suggestions from any one?

I've just had an interview on the phone. After the manager heard about my "experiences" :)) how she called them...she told me she will call me to set up an interview meeting, but I don't really think that she will ever call...
I begin to think that they are afraid of us...even unaccredited we are still dentists...
I have already contacted a school that has a RDA program and they told me that we should be accepted to work as DA without any certificate, but they know about this employment problem unfortunately...
If I will ever get a job I will write here everything hoping that this will help others like me.

Members don't see this ad :)
hi marapotzu..
yes..they never give their contact details and say that they will get back to us..funny..does every one do that?
i tried to walk inside some clinics near my home..but the receptionist interviews me...doctor is busy...lol..
im gonna give up..;)and i seriously feel that the dental assistant course is not worth taking ..for dentists...
are you done with your exams?

just sent a message for you on private:)

that sucks you guys =(. i dunno bout job...but i went to a dentist and asked if i could observe and he was nice enough to say yes, unfortunately, i just cleaned chairs, instruments, did suction ONCE in a while ( to tell u the truth it felt pretty crappy) but at least i will get to put it on my resume...and get a recommendation letter out of him =)
although, i went to this one dentist and he said 'i dont think i can help you'....i guess you just have to sound 'influencial'...i dunno!

Got contacted for a job by a dental Insurance comapany. Let's see what happens...

Also waiting for a call from a dentist.

Another office calling...
I promise to post here if something good actually happens.

Don't go for an interview to the following office
DR Barry Walvoord
This is the add on craigs list:

Progressive Evanston orthodontic practice provides beautiful working environment and professional "family-like" atmosphere. Eager attitude, current skills and assisting experience required for this full-time position. Inquire at 847-604-0368. Please email your resume or fax to 847-328-1782.
The guy didn't have the courtesy to stay during the interview more than 3 minutes...the receptionist is an 70 year old lady that keeps forgetting the information she hears from you. Every 3 minutes she asks: "Where was I?
What I was saying?"
After, they called to let me know that they hired someonelse with more experience.
After just one week they have the add again on craig's list with a special fax number so they won't be forced to talk to you...
I've called the receptionist...and she says that they already lost the assistant they hired last week:eek:

Is it just me or they don't like foreigners????

Last edited:
Pass atleast DANB exam on Radiation Health & Safety & it will help you towards working as a dental assistant in many Staes but you should have a SS # or atleast a valid tax ID. For information on DANB, go to www.danb.org
If you want to take a dental assistant certificate program, go for an ADA accredited program (www.sfccnm.edu/dental)

hi..im wondering..if these cda courses are worth taking because we are dentists..will taking these courses help our chances of being admitted to school??any one taken these courses and had any benefits from them in the admission process?

Dear Anayyar I am located in IL where you don't need to be licensed in DA to work!!!!
I also have the perm residency!!!

Pass atleast DANB exam on Radiation Health & Safety & it will help you towards working as a dental assistant in many Staes but you should have a SS # or atleast a valid tax ID. For information on DANB, go to www.danb.org
If you want to take a dental assistant certificate program, go for an ADA accredited program (www.sfccnm.edu/dental)

Keep trying! You don't need any additional courses to work as a Dental Assistant. I just asked an accredited DA College!

hi..im wondering..if these cda courses are worth taking because we are dentists..will taking these courses help our chances of being admitted to school??any one taken these courses and had any benefits from them in the admission process?

Keep trying! You don't need any additional courses to work as a Dental Assistant. I just asked an accredited DA College!
hi..thanks...
also, i wanted to know what kind of work is given to ftd's in an office??
i observe once a week at an office, but that doctor is really strict about not giving any work to me..the hygeinists do the initial work up..he has 3 hygeinists and a dental assistant who helps them..are all dentists that way?? orare we allowed to work?
he is particular about having a licensed person do all the work in he office..

i have had my friends working as dental assistant in GENTLE DENTAL & similar such chains of dental clinics on west coast.
if u guys can find such a thing to work at, maybe it would be a lot better.
coz your experiences truly sound bad :oops:
all the best,
hope we don't receive the same kind of replies once we graduate as foreign dentists & search for a job.
all the best,