Dental Assisting/Shadowing Hours

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lo&Behold

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, so I was lucky enough to get around 30-40 hrs of hands-on work assisting when I shadowed my dentist. It wasn't all the time, but I still got a really great experience and a decent amount of my shadowing hrs (140 total) consist of me assisting. My question is should I separate those on my application or do I just combine them all under shadowing? What are your thoughts?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

It's up to you. You can put it under shadowing, there is a section where you can explain what you did. I would include procedures watched, assisted in, etc. If you do this, be prepared to answer a question on the procedures. Some interviewers ask questions on procedures you assisted in or watched. Say you watched an extraction, they'll say "Explain it, or what instrument is this or that?..."

Reactions: 1 user
It's up to you. You can put it under shadowing, there is a section where you can explain what you did. I would include procedures watched, assisted in, etc. If you do this, be prepared to answer a question on the procedures. Some interviewers ask questions on procedures you assisted in or watched. Say you watched an extraction, they'll say "Explain it, or what instrument is this or that?..."
I see...that shouldn't be a problem, then. Thanks for the info!

I included each dentist I shadowed as a different experience. The interviewers don't care about how your application is structured, as long as you include your stuff there. Don't worry about things like that, do the best you can with your application! NP!

Reactions: 1 user