DENTAL ErGoNoMiCs 101!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fightingspirit

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am about to start dental school pretty soon, and after my volunteer experience with dentists and oral surgeons, I realized that I might develop back problems at a relatively early age. In fact, I already have a back that has sustained an injury at the gym when I was doing squats. So my questions are addressed to dental students and dentists, especially those who entered dental school with minor back problems.

Is there a way to do dentistry without putting strain on the lower back? What is it?
Are there particular ways to adjust the chair to minimize back strain?
Are there special chairs for those who have back problems and can these chairs be ordered by students? I don’t mind paying a high price for it. If it’s there, I’ll get it…

Thank you for the feedback…

Members don't see this ad.

Yes - it' all about good posture and starting good habits, and not bad ones, right off the bat. I suggest purchasing loupes - not only do the magnify your field of vision but they more or less guide you into a correct posture (if you get to close or too far away they are out of focus).

Sprgrover said:
Yes - it' all about good posture and starting good habits, and not bad ones, right off the bat. I suggest purchasing loupes - not only do the magnify your field of vision but they more or less guide you into a correct posture (if you get to close or too far away they are out of focus).

thanks for the feedback. but how do you maintain good posture when you have to bend down at your lower back? i guess the loopes would make it unnecessary to do so. please tell me how and where to purchase these loopes? can you purchase them used? what do you recommend?

Members don't see this ad :)
a physiotherapist came to our school to do a presentation about the importance in maintaining good posture and taught us a few exercises that would be good for dentists to prevent future problems... i'm not sure if other schools have the same thing.....? :)

holly cow....150 viewers and only 2 posters?!!! ....i guess people think they've got a back of steel or somethin...come on guys....residents, 4th years....where are you?

These are the main loupes manufacturers:

Designs for Vision
Orascoptic
Surgitel
Zeiss

They are all good, and range in price, but it comes down to personal preference. I have Designs for Vision, which is a little more expensive, but I am very happy with. You will find dentists that enjoy all brands.

The main thing is to make sure you USE it. They all should come with a 30 day return policy, so make sure you like them and they have the right measurements.

Even after that, at least for Designs, as long as you are in school you can have them change the measurements for no cost, but can't return it after 30 days.

You can get a student rate.

Good luck.

dentalman said:

Designs for Vision
Orascoptic
Surgitel
Zeiss

They are all good, and range in price, but it comes down to personal preference. I have Designs for Vision, which is a little more expensive, but I am very happy with. You will find dentists that enjoy all brands.

The main thing is to make sure you USE it. They all should come with a 30 day return policy, so make sure you like them and they have the right measurements.

Even after that, at least for Designs, as long as you are in school you can have them change the measurements for no cost, but can't return it after 30 days.

Good luck.

thank you for taking the time to offer advice and info...i appreciate it...

should i go ahead and get'em for year one or i wont be needing them until year 3?

fightingspirit said:
thank you for taking the time to offer advice and info...i appreciate it...

should i go ahead and get'em for year one or i wont be needing them until year 3?

My advice is to get them as soon as possible. I started using them during my first semester of preclinical work. The sooner you start using them the sooner that you will establish good habits and posture! You'll have to wear safety goggles anyways, so you might as well have the benefit of magnification.

dentalman said:

Designs for Vision
Orascoptic
Surgitel
Zeiss

Good luck.

What is the difference between the brands?

At Tufts, they measure you for loupes during orientation. I guess, they really encourage their use throughout the four years. Don't know about other schools or their policy according to this.