fightingspirit

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 26, 2005
1,759
0
41
Status
Dental Student
So I am about to start dental school pretty soon, and after my volunteer experience with dentists and oral surgeons, I realized that I might develop back problems at a relatively early age. In fact, I already have a back that has sustained an injury at the gym when I was doing squats. So my questions are addressed to dental students and dentists, especially those who entered dental school with minor back problems.

Is there a way to do dentistry without putting strain on the lower back? What is it?
Are there particular ways to adjust the chair to minimize back strain?
Are there special chairs for those who have back problems and can these chairs be ordered by students? I don’t mind paying a high price for it. If it’s there, I’ll get it…

Thank you for the feedback…
 

Sprgrover

Pulped out Moderator
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 4, 2004
4,037
4
Philadelphia, PA
Status
Yes - it' all about good posture and starting good habits, and not bad ones, right off the bat. I suggest purchasing loupes - not only do the magnify your field of vision but they more or less guide you into a correct posture (if you get to close or too far away they are out of focus).
 
OP
fightingspirit

fightingspirit

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 26, 2005
1,759
0
41
Status
Dental Student
Sprgrover said:
Yes - it' all about good posture and starting good habits, and not bad ones, right off the bat. I suggest purchasing loupes - not only do the magnify your field of vision but they more or less guide you into a correct posture (if you get to close or too far away they are out of focus).

thanks for the feedback. but how do you maintain good posture when you have to bend down at your lower back? i guess the loopes would make it unnecessary to do so. please tell me how and where to purchase these loopes? can you purchase them used? what do you recommend?
 
About the Ads

per te

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 7, 2004
15
0
Status
Resident [Any Field]
a physiotherapist came to our school to do a presentation about the importance in maintaining good posture and taught us a few exercises that would be good for dentists to prevent future problems... i'm not sure if other schools have the same thing.....? :)
 
OP
fightingspirit

fightingspirit

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 26, 2005
1,759
0
41
Status
Dental Student
holly cow....150 viewers and only 2 posters?!!! ....i guess people think they've got a back of steel or somethin...come on guys....residents, 4th years....where are you?
 

dentalman

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 10, 2004
441
1
Status
These are the main loupes manufacturers:

Designs for Vision
Orascoptic
Surgitel
Zeiss

They are all good, and range in price, but it comes down to personal preference. I have Designs for Vision, which is a little more expensive, but I am very happy with. You will find dentists that enjoy all brands.

The main thing is to make sure you USE it. They all should come with a 30 day return policy, so make sure you like them and they have the right measurements.

Even after that, at least for Designs, as long as you are in school you can have them change the measurements for no cost, but can't return it after 30 days.

You can get a student rate.

Good luck.
 
OP
fightingspirit

fightingspirit

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 26, 2005
1,759
0
41
Status
Dental Student
dentalman said:
These are the main loupes manufacturers:

Designs for Vision
Orascoptic
Surgitel
Zeiss

They are all good, and range in price, but it comes down to personal preference. I have Designs for Vision, which is a little more expensive, but I am very happy with. You will find dentists that enjoy all brands.

The main thing is to make sure you USE it. They all should come with a 30 day return policy, so make sure you like them and they have the right measurements.

Even after that, at least for Designs, as long as you are in school you can have them change the measurements for no cost, but can't return it after 30 days.

You can get a student rate.

Good luck.

thank you for taking the time to offer advice and info...i appreciate it...

should i go ahead and get'em for year one or i wont be needing them until year 3?
 

NVDental

DS4
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 29, 2004
72
0
Visit site
Status
Dental Student
fightingspirit said:
thank you for taking the time to offer advice and info...i appreciate it...

should i go ahead and get'em for year one or i wont be needing them until year 3?

My advice is to get them as soon as possible. I started using them during my first semester of preclinical work. The sooner you start using them the sooner that you will establish good habits and posture! You'll have to wear safety goggles anyways, so you might as well have the benefit of magnification.
 

cba

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 12, 2006
96
0
Status
Pre-Dental
dentalman said:
These are the main loupes manufacturers:

Designs for Vision
Orascoptic
Surgitel
Zeiss

They are all good, and range in price, but it comes down to personal preference. I have Designs for Vision, which is a little more expensive, but I am very happy with. You will find dentists that enjoy all brands.

The main thing is to make sure you USE it. They all should come with a 30 day return policy, so make sure you like them and they have the right measurements.

Even after that, at least for Designs, as long as you are in school you can have them change the measurements for no cost, but can't return it after 30 days.

You can get a student rate.

Good luck.
What is the difference between the brands?
 
OP
fightingspirit

fightingspirit

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 26, 2005
1,759
0
41
Status
Dental Student
cba said:
What is the difference between the brands?

it seems to be personal preference....
 

ElCubanito

Member
10+ Year Member
Feb 13, 2006
92
14
Status
At Tufts, they measure you for loupes during orientation. I guess, they really encourage their use throughout the four years. Don't know about other schools or their policy according to this.
 
About the Ads