Dental Exercises

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drsomeday1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I know this might sound stupid to some, but what physical exercises can I do to help me as a Dental student and Dentist? I hear stories of backs, wrists, and other things going bad, and I don't want that to happen to me. I know some schools count posture as part of clinical grades, but besides practicing good posture, are there real exercises I can do to help? For example, back exercises? Any suggestions? Any success stories?

Members don't see this ad.

I like deadlifts and olympic lifting but really anything that works the core and posterior chain will help. I am only in sim lab right now but can feel a difference from being out of shape and being inshape.

Members don't see this ad :)
I like deadlifts and olympic lifting but really anything that works the core and posterior chain will help. I am only in sim lab right now but can feel a difference from being out of shape and being inshape.

That's what I figured. Would you recommend working out your wrists and forearms regularly, too? Will that possibly help prevent an onset of carpal tunnel?

Sounds dumb, but I'm worried about back problems and carpal tunnel!!!

Short answer is yes

However I wouldn't be so much an advocate of wrist curls. I focus on grip strength and grip endurance, because that helps me from fatiguing while in the chair. An exercise routine that has pullups, rows, deadlifts, or cleans, etc will help. Proceed with caution though and make sure you have good form because a sprained wrist or back will make dental school hell.