Dental Field

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DL44

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Never really considered Dental (not that I didn't want to) but I have all of the pre-reqs completed. I'm applying to Pharmacy school this year but I have yet to take the PCAT.

Two questions. How much experience in the field did you gain before you REALLY knew this was for you?Secondly, standardized testing is not really my forte but the PCAT seems reasonable to complete. How does the DAT stack up?

Regardless, just trying to weigh my options out because Dental always seemed very interesting but for whatever reason my time was spent elsewhere. (undergrad thesis project took up a lot of my time).

Thank you all.

Members don't see this ad.

Never really considered Dental (not that I didn't want to) but I have all of the pre-reqs completed. I'm applying to Pharmacy school this year but I have yet to take the PCAT.

Two questions. How much experience in the field did you gain before you REALLY knew this was for you?Secondly, standardized testing is not really my forte but the PCAT seems reasonable to complete. How does the DAT stack up?

Regardless, just trying to weigh my options out because Dental always seemed very interesting but for whatever reason my time was spent elsewhere. (undergrad thesis project took up a lot of my time).

Thank you all.
The best advice I can give is to pick a dentist and shadow them. The more shadowing you do with a variety of different dentists, the better you will be able to gauge your interest in dentistry. I know a few people who had their hearts set on dentistry, solely for the monetary benefits, and the first time they went in to shadow, they changed their minds. Shadowing is the best experience you'll get, especially if you have a dentist that will take time to talk with you about not only the procedures, but the overall experience of being a dentist.

As for the DAT, it took me about a month of studying to get an average score (21 AA, 21 TS, 18 PA). It varies for everyone, but it is honestly over-hyped. That's not to say that I'd ever want to take it again, since for that month of studying, I put in about 8 hours every day with one break day a week. You can spread it out if you want, but I think the more you spread it out, the more you forget, but that may just be my style.

Awesome thanks for the advice. I figure I'd ask my roommates dad, but I hear he is a hard ass lol maybe it might be a good thing.

Thanks for the DAT advice as well. How difficult is it to grasp the perceptual ability section? Seems a little obscure..

Members don't see this ad :)
Awesome thanks for the advice. I figure I'd ask my roommates dad, but I hear he is a hard ass lol maybe it might be a good thing.

Thanks for the DAT advice as well. How difficult is it to grasp the perceptual ability section? Seems a little obscure..

With enough practice, it shouldn't be a problem. People tend to struggle more with RC than other sections.

Definitely. I feel like I've always been underscoring myself. I want to at least see if the Dental field is a better fit.