dental GRADING system

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

elz787

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which schools are on the pass/fail system?

Members don't see this ad.

miravyn said:
UCLA, Harvard...that's all I know.

I believe Indiana and Columbia are as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
at ucla, we have an unofficial pass now or pass later system.
eventually u will pass, and eventually u will graduate.

jaerob said:
I believe Indiana and Columbia are as well.
That's a definite negative on IUSD, ghost rider. The only pass/fail courses I can think of at IUSD are the introductory ethics course and PBL. Maybe more during D3 & D4, but the majority of the curriculum is graded.

UCSF just started p/f this year. I hear it's been a good change, most of the students I've talked to are pretty happy with it.

QUESTION:

If pass/fail is used..then how is class rank or gpa decided when applying for specialties?

Doesnt this sort of take away the whole compeition aspect and allow everyone to become slackers (pass with a C or D, why work for passing with an A?)

dentwannabe said:
QUESTION:

If pass/fail is used..then how is class rank or gpa decided when applying for specialties?

Doesnt this sort of take away the whole compeition aspect and allow everyone to become slackers (pass with a C or D, why work for passing with an A?)

While what you are saying is true...schools with pass/fail still have ways to rank their students....meaning there is competition (namely for those who want to specialize). From what I gather, its not a true pass/fail undergraduate grading scale...its more like high pass/pass/low pass/fail. In the end, I dont really care because I dont plan to specialize...so its all good.

aphistis said:
That's a definite negative on IUSD, ghost rider. The only pass/fail courses I can think of at IUSD are the introductory ethics course and PBL. Maybe more during D3 & D4, but the majority of the curriculum is graded.

Hahaha, oops :oops: Maybe I was just referring to the "introductory ethics course and PBL". Just kidding..that's my bad :D

Bullfan16 said:
While what you are saying is true...schools with pass/fail still have ways to rank their students....meaning there is competition (namely for those who want to specialize). From what I gather, its not a true pass/fail undergraduate grading scale...its more like high pass/pass/low pass/fail. In the end, I dont really care because I dont plan to specialize...so its all good.

i heard UCSF is straight up PASS/ no pass. I dont think they have high pass/ low pass. I could be wrong though.