Dental Hygenist Certification

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NDS

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I heard that after two years of dental school, you get certified as a dental hygenist. Is that true? if so, where do you apply, etc.

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I've never heard of that and I have to see thats ridiculous. How can you be certified as a dental hygienist when you have never been to dental hygiene school? Especially after the first 2 years of dental school which is almost entirely books and minimal clinical activity. This is like saying an MD can be registered as a nurse after 2 years of med school.

During my BU interview (which happened eons ago) If I remember correctly I was told that you could work as a dental hygienist after the 3rd year of dental school. I think you still have to take the exam though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, that bill passed in California last year.

After second year you must take the hygiene board and pass. As soon as you earn your DDS you drop the RDH

actually I found some reliable resources here: http://www.ada.org/prof/ed/testing/natboardhyg/application.asp

it says that in order to get the certificate, all you need is a letter from the dean saying that you are qualified, and you also have to take their boards. So if anyone is reading this post and has some study material for me to study to the dental hygenist board, let me know!

I'm pretty sure this is limited to just a few states. I can't remember which ones though.

I wish it was in place in my state; hygienist's around here are getting close to $40/hr.
$320 for a Saturday of scraping schmutz off teeth isn't bad.