Hi. I don't mind the questions, and I am not offended at all. To be quite honest, I love being a dental hygienist, it is a very rewarding career. However, I am considering dental school because I basically want to be my own boss. I have almost 20 years experience in the dental field. At age 19, I began as a dental assistant. I've worked in the dental lab, and even worked the front desk and filed insurance claims. I decided to go back to school to be a hygienist and graduated from Dental Hygiene school at age 30. I've been a dental hygienist for 9 years, and now at the ripe old age of 39, I am considering completing the prerequisites to apply to dental school. Some may think it's crazy to embark on that journey at my age, but even if I don't get out of dental school until I'm in my mid forties, I still have twenty or more years left to work. Twenty or more years of letting someone else be my boss! So, back to why I'd like to be my own boss in the field of dentistry. I have had the pleasure of working for many dentists over the years, some great ones, some not so great. I'm just tired of working so hard to make someone else so much money. Quite frankly, often times I find some of their treatment questionable, and ethically that truly bothers me. After 20 years experience, even though all dentists treat differently, some are more conservative, some are more aggressive, I find myself nodding my head at their treatment recommendations quite often. Yes, I know a hygienist can not diagnose or recommend treatment, however with my experience, I can tell when treatment is questionable or not. My consideration of dental school isn't necessarily about the money either. I have been very fortunate as a hygienist, I've made at least 70K per year the last few years, and should make even more than that this year. Yes, some may find that hard to believe, but it's true. With that being said, I work 5 days a week doing assisted hygiene, and I stay very busy. That's above average for a dental hygienist, in most areas, in case you were wandering. It's very difficult when your overworked and underappreciated. I live in a small community, so if and when I get out of dental school, I don't want to start a huge bustling dental practice. I want a small intimate practice, with a spa like setting. The great thing about myself and my experience is that I know alot more about running a dental practice than the average Joe getting out of dental school. Also, I can adequately see my patients for their cleanings until my practice is built up enough to cover the cost of a hygienist. We all know that dentists are not adequately trained to do cleanings. Maybe a simple prophy, but not perio treatment. Heck, I wasn't adequately trained until out of school and practicing for a while. Lol. Unfortunately, I don't live in a state where hygienists can open their own practices, if I did, I'd be very happy doing that. However, that's never going to happen as long as dentists are running the state board. Why would they ever agree to that? Imagine the money they would lose. Basically the bottom line is, I want to go to dental school so I can make my own schedule, give patients quality dentistry, and of course the extra money is just an added bonus. If I were you, I'd pursue a degree in dentistry. I was in your exact position almost nineteen years ago, and the one thing holding me back from actually going back to school right now is my age. I've often wanted to kick myself for not doing it when I was younger. You're so young, and the sky's the limit! Please don't let anyone discourage you from following your dreams!