SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Dental Hygiene

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by Dr.Jamie, Apr 12, 2007.

1. Dr.Jamie

Dr.Jamie New Member 5+ Year Member

Feb 22, 2006
    This is something I argue about with a family member of mine that is a dentist all the time. I have my degree in biology, decent grades, but nothing spectacular. So I have decided I need to get a Masters degree, which is something I've been advised to do by many people. Plus, it is just something I'd like to have. Anyway, this family member keeps saying that his dentist friends think i need to start into a dental hygiene program and that will make me look better to the Dental Schools. I think this is absurd. Won't upper level science classes, research, and a MS make me look a lot better than that? He says that this one girl he knows is in a Dental Hygiene bachelor's program that she transferred into from a CC, and that she'll be in Dental school before me. Is there any truth to that? Any advice?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Drill2Fill

Drill2Fill DentalStudentWannabe 5+ Year Member

Mar 20, 2006
    Tejas
    I think it would be a watse of time and money, to get a degree you will never use.

4. DoctorHappyFeet

DoctorHappyFeet Banned Banned

Mar 3, 2007
    I totally agree. If your goal is dental school, going to school for dental hygiene is a huge waste of time and money - you'll just be studying things that you'll be studying in dental school, only on a lot simpler level. If I were on a dental school admission committee I would not be impressed.

Maybe dental hygiene was a reasonable avenue to get to dental school a while back. But dental school has become a lot more competetive, and they want to see students with upper level science courses like you mentioned. I don't see anything challenging about a dental hygiene program.

Has she actually been accepted to dental school yet? If not, how the hell could he say that she'll be in d-school before you? Your family member is a douche in my opinion.

5. DoctorHappyFeet

Mar 3, 2007
    beat me to it.

6. pmantz

pmantz Member 5+ Year Member

Jul 3, 2006
    Milwaukee
    I can see going from dental hygiene and then deciding to go to dental school. But to have a BS and enter an get an associate degee. :confused:
    I won't go as far as saying it is not challenging in its own way, but I would go for the masters.

7. ItsGavinC

ItsGavinC Dentist Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Oct 7, 2001
    Arizona
    I disagee with the other posters. I don't think hygiene would be a complete waste of time--certainly it would allow you to experience some dentistry is ways that you wouldn't be able to otherwise until you enter dental school. It in no way looks bad on an application. At the minimum it shows that you know what it is like to deal with patients, treat patients, and you have an idea of dental materials and instruments. Will it make you a shoe-in for dental school? No. But it could be a stepping-stone to dental school, in the same way a masters degree is. Would you be getting a masters in something you are going to use? Probably not. At least you could make decent money ($25/hr?) with hygiene should you need some extra cash.

8. DoctorHappyFeet

Mar 3, 2007
    I think that's a really narrow-minded statement.

9. Dr.Jamie

Dr.Jamie New Member 5+ Year Member

Feb 22, 2006
    well, i have experience, i was a part time assistant for eight years. I also polish kid's teeth, and worked with them like they were my patients for a summer. I know Hygiene would be more advanced experience, but I don't see it helping me much more. I've been working with patients since the age of 15. So far that hasn't really helped me as far as geting in to dental school.

10. pre-dentalguy

pre-dentalguy Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Jan 7, 2006
    GA
    It is definitely a waste of time and money. School are NOT more likely to accept you based on a BS/BA in Hygiene. What you need to focus on is a postbacc/Master's program that will enhance your qualifications and make you more competitive. Do this... And do well... And you'll be golden.

Marion

11. prplmnkydshwshr

prplmnkydshwshr Banned Banned

Apr 13, 2007
    i love how many stupid people are trying to hop on the dental school bus :laugh: